Male vs. Female
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Male vs. Female

NYJoe is offline Member

DefaultMale vs. Female

Hi all joe from Long Island. I put a deposit down on a female lab pup but shock of shocks, the mother just had 7 males last night LOL. I have never owned a male dog. What can anyone tell me the differences are besides the lifting of the leg LOL. Thanks for any comments!

Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Morgan, 10 yo choc - was my 1st male and 1st lab. Have a black girl too. LOVE MY BOY! He seems to be more "my" dog than Paul and my dog - and that is probably because he and I were along for the 1st couple years of his life. That said - I don't know that the next one matters - probably will go male, but either is a lovely dog - provided it's a lab!

bett is offline Senior Member

they dont get spay/ neuter incontinence , as much as females.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

In my experience, females tend to be a bit more independent while the males want to be with you all the time. Abbey is smart as a whip and she does enjoy snuggling, but she's perfectly fine sitting in the backyard doing squirrel patrol. Kolby will go outside and do his business, but if I'm inside, he comes right back in and wants to be near me.

Again, just my experience! Congrats on the pup.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I have 2 females and I can attest to the independence thing...Moka and Java can almost be a bit standoffish at times. They do like to cuddle-but only when THEY want to.
    Now we have a male there that we are watching for friends for a few weeks...and he is up my butt all the time. He is very needy and attention hungry ALL THE TIME.

It makes me appreciate my girls that so much!!!

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

See, I have the opposite experience. My female is my cuddle bug, needs attention ALL the time! My male is more independent. He likes attention, but on his terms. Play with him, you're his friend for life. But he'll only really let me or my DH cuddle with him. He likes his space.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

individual personality is more important than general male vs female theories. go with fit personality wise (the breeder should pick the pup that is best fit or suggest 1-2 dogs)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

I love the males. It's funny but I just find them a bit like human males, and I adore those too. LOL Female dogs are like female humans, not going into details to not tick off people...HAHAHA

In my life, I have had two females, a Great Dane and now Kayce a black lab. Both were / are sweet and definately "girls."
    Oh and I grew up with a female poodle... yappy and attitude times 10!

Both of the females, Dane and Poodle got the spay/ neuter incontinence that Bett mentioned, Geeze oh pete that was a hassle. The reason why Kayce will never be spayed!
    A Dane with a loose bladder is a serious threat to your life. Walk around a corner and hit a huge puddle of pee, flat out on the floor in a heart beat...happened many times. Most funny when it was the ex-husband.

My boys, gee let's see if I can recall them all, two Hienze 57 mixes, 2 German Shepards, Old English Sheep dog, Alaskan Malamute, Siberian Husky, 2 Great Danes, Beagel,
    Staint Bernard mix, and recently... a Lab Mix - named Jack, and now a black lab puppy, named Diesel. They so much remind me of little boys, about 7 -9 years old, funny and dare devils, keep you laughing. But very tender hearted and loving. And eager to please you.

The girls, a little more like cats.... they want your attention when they want something, but otherwise more independant.

Jilian is offline Senior Member

We're going to rescue a dog and I was torn between male vs female and I came across many threads that suggest a male dog says (with his actions) "I love you" and the female dog says "Love me". I've also read about females having more issues with UTIs, etc. We don't have a dog yet, just reposting what I've come across in my research.

labby is offline Senior Member

LOVE MALES!!! They are less independent, more loving than females. As I remind people, we don't call them bitches for nothing. If I could only have one, I'd have a male.

THE BATTLE OF THE SEXES

Laura

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast