Tessa is recovering well after her TTO surgery.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tessa is recovering well after her TTO surgery.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

DefaultTessa is recovering well after her TTO surgery.

The vet called to say all went well and she would be home maybe late tomorrow night or Saturday.
    By the time I took her this morning her leg was very sore and the angle it has been on was becoming worse.

When Tess came home on Monday her neck smelt of perfume and I thought someone has been cuddling her. No..she is smelly with her yeast infections.
    When she went in this morning the receptionist called through to say the big surgery was here and the vet and 2 nurses came out.One of the nurses rushed over to Tess and said" You won't remeber me gorgeous girl, but I have been looking forward to seeing you again. You are so beautiful I just love you. ". Aww,, My Ma Brown was stuffing her toy in the nurses face. It made it easier leaving her.

I was googling TTO and this came up so thought it might be an idea to use for information.
    Tess ruptured her cruciate while swimming. How I have no idea. She isn't over weight, but had been running for the ball before swimming.
    Here in N.Z. they do the TTO, which is a crosee between TPLO and TTA. Her mensiucs wasn't torn so was left. This can tear post surgery, but we will come to that if that happens. There are various protocol as to how to treat this if it isn't torn. Cut and fix or leave it. My surgeon leaves it.
    Tess not being crate trained and needing to for 8 weeks was daunting, but she was so sore she didn't mind and became used to it. For the first 8 weeks each time I took her from the crate I put the lead on.

The first 4 days Tess didn't drink so no pee. I soaked her kibble and still nothing. I became worried so took her to the vet, and all was well. She has Prednisone for allergies and had to take her off it before the surgery and try to keep her off as long as possible for healing. We had a small window before we needed to put her back on for her allergies so couldn't use chicken stock or anything like that to get her to drink. I made a fish soup and she she loved it, so within 24 hours was peeing.

I had a mattress in the crate thinking it would help take the pressure off the leg, but it isn't good for them to stand on as it makes the leg unstable with too much movement so won't heal. I put it in at night and flat bottom in the day.With the Pred it was going to take longer for the bone to heal so my vet and surgeon were on the cautious side of her treatment.

Week 2 her leg was still swelling and it became a concern. Walking would have been good, but no walking apart from leash walks to toilet, so more meds to help. I tried walking her extra when she peed, but she became sore and held the leg up more so we went back to strict crate rest. I let her out of the crate to sit on the floor. To stop her moving I tied her to the crate.

Week 4... she was doing well and not holding the leg up as much. I was doing passive movement and massage to help stimulate the blood. She was still on crate rest as she is a bouncy dog and we couldn't afford for her to twist it. Vet suggested we don't try too much as her leg was good and no atrophy. She was back on Pred so going to the toilet more than most dogs so had to be aware of this.

Week 6... she was getting frustrated with not being able to run. I taught which hand is the food game, and other things to occupy her mind. When I took her to the toilet I did an extra walks around the house then back to the crate. By now I was confused and wasn't sure what was best to do for her, but decided to follow my surgeons advice. As she said "there are so many opinions it is hard to know". I think you have to look at your dog and go with your gut and the vets.

Week 7 ..I was doing 5 mins around the house, several times a day and letting her out more to sit with us. Still on the lead. Her pred was increased as her allergies were getting worse and she was banging the leg on the crate or wall scratching. More pred....more pee so sometimes I cut back the extra walks.

Week 8.. we went outside. I used the sling to get her up and down the steps at first, then large figure 8s around the drive. This whole process seems like she will never walk properly again. As Tess is and has been on Prednisone the healing will take longer so we have to be more cautious. I have read and spoken to others who say they did the same so makes me feel a little better when I see some dogs hiking at this stage. Each dog is different, with each surgeon suggesting different rehabs. For me listening to my dog and surgeon has worked.

Week 9 or is it 10. It has been sooooooo long and there are days I wish I had never taken them to the beach. Being totally selfish thinking of crates, beds, in places they need to be while she heals, having her tied to me and not thinking of poor wee Tess not able to do the things she likes best. If she doesn't get a walk or at least a good run every second day she stuff her toy in her mouth with her paws and cries. It is heart breaking and nothing I can do. I am leaving her out of the crate more and she is quite happy to go back. I tie her to me if I am standing preparing meals so I can keep a check on her movement and she can have some freedom.
    She is still limping and tomorrow we go for another check up. What we will do or won't do if she still has pivot shift I don't want to think about.
    Last edited by kassabella; 11-10-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Sounds like she's in the best of hands Chris. Let's hope for a speedy recovery.

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Speedy recovery thoughts from here!
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Part of me wants her to stay there longer so she heals better, but I want her home. The vet said we are going to have to be very careful. Evidently before the surgery she became excited and tried to jump in the crate at the vets. Oh Tessy. I don't think they beleived me when I said she jumps in it.
    Last edited by kassabella; 09-06-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Parcae is offline Senior Member

Glad to hear the surgery went well. Sending lots of good thoughts for a speedy recovery.

Dave 990305 - 110701 Forever in my heart
    Roffe 120619

bigbrownsmom is offline Senior Member

Oh sweet girl no jumping Good thoughts for Tess on the way.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Glad it all went well Chris

Prepare yourself for a few heart attacks on the way if things go the way they have with Jasper ( I hope that they don't )

LabbyAbby is offline Junior Member

She's so pretty! Lots of prayers and thoughts coming your way for a speedy recovery so you can get back to jumping in those crates safely!

smokey is offline Senior Member

I'm glad it went well, and that she is in loving care. Sending good thoughts for her and you!
    Smokey 4/25/2012

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Glad things went well. Hugs and quiet pats for Tessa!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast