How does your dog get into your SUV?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How does your dog get into your SUV?

LovingLabs is offline Member

DefaultHow does your dog get into your SUV?

I have a little dilema ... Madison is now 6 months and 42 lbs..I have a 2011 Highlander with a wire crate in the back, in order for me to get her in the crate I have to pick her up and put her in it....I won't let her jump out because I do not want her hurting herself ... I have a ramp that my previous lab never used because she just didn't like it and for me it's too cumbersom to be toting around, anyway I was wondering if anyone has any advise on what to do? What to use? If I put the seats down in the back they do not go all the way down so therefore turing the crate around for entrance in the passengers side won't work either .... what do you do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

My dogs jump in. I can't lift them anymore. I don't allow my dogs under 2 to jump out. I will guide them out slowly and gently. Once they're 2 and have had their elbows x-rayed, I'll allow them to jump out.

Laura

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

One jumps in and out. The other one can't seem to navigate the jumping in part. He gets the front end in and then looks pathetically at me to hoist the back end up and in. He manages to get himself out after some hemming and hawing.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tucker is offline Senior Member

Tucker is SO lazy...he sits in the way back of my SUV, but I put one seat down and leave the other up to get him in...he puts is front paws up on the seat and I boost his rear...he then steps from the down seat to the way back and I put the seat up...to take him out, I put the seat down, he walks to the other seat and I gently help him out the side door...I do this now because he is older, but he has always been lazy about getting in...looking for the "boost"

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

the only dog I lift is 11 year old Rhys. And most of the time he does it himself.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

fanny&eddiesmom is offline Senior Member

They jump in. I had to lift Fanny's rear end up and in but she could jump out. Eddie is getting older and his hips are beginning to bother him so I can see that I will be lifting him in the future until then - upsy!

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I have a wagon! Same utility as a hulk crossover but with a lower height. Dogs can jump in and out from the hatch with no problem.

Here´s what you can do, for jumping in, first lift the "front end" of the dogs so they place their paws on cargo area, then push the butt up and they will do the rest. For getting down, don´t carry the whole dog, what I used to do with my old Brownie was to hold her while jumping down, making it easy for both of us. (assiting the jump, but not carrying the whole weight).

Or... get a wagon!

Shelley is offline Senior Member

I also have a Highlander, and we do a front "Paws Up" command and I lift/boost the rest of the dog into the crate (in the back cargo area) until they are age 2 or over to protect their elbows. When I take the big truck, I use a ramp for all no matter the age.

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

I have a Honda HRV. About 3 months ago Cassie would jump in and then jump out. For the last month now she doesn't jump. She just put her two front legs on the edge of the bumper and I lift her up.

From now on I won't let her jump out until she's grown, so the best thing to is pick her up and get her down? Or should I do something else?

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

LovingLabs is offline Member

This is great information! Paws Up is going to work and I will help her down !!! thank you all!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast