Just Labradors banner

Fabric or wire crates.?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Laceezmom 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 ·
If you're also going to use it in a vehicle, the wire one. Soft sided crates are not made for vehicle safety in a crash. If you just want something to use in the house, at shows, traveling, etc, then go with the soft one. They are much lighter to carry then a wire one. Of course, that's assuming Tessa won't chew or dig through it. As for which one, I like the one in the first link. They both appear to be pretty much the same, but the first one has nicer flaps that cover the sides, and it looks like it comes with a carrying bag.

#4 ·
She doesn't dig she jumps. I thought maybe the soft side may not be as hard on her leg as the hard wire one if she is jumping.Plus not as high to give her the room to jump. Probably tip the thing over.

I have been parking in the street and sneaking in so as to lessen the time she is jumping. Above the door are all scratched with her jumping when I come home.

#5 ·
She doesn't dig she jumps...
Oh, that reminded me- if she's a "flopper", make sure your real close the first time you put her in a soft crate. The first time I put Caleb in one, he flopped against the side of it with enough force that it started to go over on its side before I stopped it. It only took that one time for him to learn not to flop against the side.

#6 ·
Remember that soft-sided crates can be chewed. I would go for wire; she can see everything that's going on and it really will not give her room to jump up. I have a 42" for Champ and it is more than big enough for him. A good pad will help.

#7 ·
I'd go wire also, especially for a extended confined time. Any chewing, scratching or whatever and the soft side is toast. I only use my soft sides at shows, and with the dogs I know will not fidget. The soft sides certainly WILL tip over, and if Tessa gets excited when you come home (even just bouncing as little as she can in a crate), it will tip over. It does not sound like you will be carrying it around a lot, so the weight of the wire crate should not be a factor.

#8 · (Edited)
I was hoping to move to which ever end of the house we are in as the one I have is too heavy and has broken out the top.

But I do think you are all right about it tipping. I looked at one today and it isn't as heavy and thought.Does look great for short periods. They are $350 in the pet shop. Wow...

Jackie I thought about her seeing more in a wire crate.
Melissa I didn't' think of the flopping either. I thought maybe if she doesn't use it Erns will, but he is a flopper. I can just see his face as he up ends himself.
I have moved the crate and he keeps going to where it has always been, looks at me barks, and lays down on the floor.He wants his man cave back.

#10 ·
Colin that sounds good. I was looking at a dog pen thing, but she would jump out of that. Maybe not this week, but she would.I can't believe she can jump, yelp and still keep trying in a crate.She bends herself over to give herself more room and jumps.
I have an idea. Will let you know if it works. lol.

#12 ·
I have a wire crate in the house and a fabric one in the car - made by Guardian Gear. The fabric one has been great to have as it is easily transportable. My dog has not tried to chew it or scratch her way out. The fabric is very taut. The whole thing collapses easily for easy stowing but it is usually just in my Jeep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.