Cassie and the hair dryer fear - what to do?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cassie and the hair dryer fear - what to do?

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

DefaultCassie and the hair dryer fear - what to do?

Last night Cassie has been naughty and she got into some dirty water. When we came home I hosed her down with water to clean her. Then I dried her with her towel and then I took her to my room to dry her with the hair dryer. I didn't have it in hot air. I noticed that she was very much afraid of the hair dryer. She stood still out of fear. When I was finished she run away. After a while it was bed time but she wouldn't come to the bedroom. She was out in the porch and wouldn't come in. Then I managed to get in the house and she run to the couch and wouldn't move to come to the bedroom. I had to pick her up in my arms and take her to the bedroom.

As soon as I put her down she got on the bed for the first time. She always sleeps on the floor and she jumps on the bed at around 05:30'am. She spend the whole night on the bed. I thought that she was still afraid the floor because of the hair dryer - I had her on the floor.

Tonight I have the same problem. She wouldn't come to bed even with kibble!! She put a fight not to come in the bedroom. I had to drag her to the bedroom. I was hold her and drag her and she was resisting. When I put her in the bedroom she went straight on the bed.

This was the 2nd time with the dryer. The first time I dried her with the hair dryer was months ago when she was a puppy. I will never use hair dryer again.

But how can I make her now to get over the fear? Before last night when it was bed time she was running to the bedroom and was laying on the floor immediately. Now she won't come even close to the bedroom and she's on the bed the whole night. I don't mind being on the bed but I want her to get over the fear she has now for the bedroom.

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

You will need to desensitize her to the hair dryer, it may take awhile, but since there has been no real physical "terror" with a hair dryer, it should be fairly easy. Do you have another person in your house, or someone that could help you?

If so, have the other person with the dryer in another room ( or if you have to, you outside and the person inside at whatever distance) and they turn on the dryer. The distance should be great enough that it only draws her attention, but does not scare her. Meanwhile YOU great and praise her. Stop after a short time period. Next day do the same thing and if she responds well, move a few feet closer (or if you are lucky a room closer, or so that the other person is. Issuable). YOU treat and praise lavishly. Over many days (or maybe weeks) move closer to the dryer. Proceed closer each day ONLY ONLY ONLY if she is comfortable and happy when you stop training.

If at any time, Cassie starts getting nervous, back away from the dryer and proceed more slowly. Eventually,you can get to wher Cassie is in another room and YOU hold the dryer and turn it on. Again proceed slowly so that she will approach you. You may have to throw an extra step in and just have the dryer on the room.....treat and praise. Bring the dryer closer, and if she is calm treat and praise. Eventually touch her with it dryer (OFF!), treat and praise. THEN proceed with you have the dryer and turn it on ( at a distance).

Use very high value treats for the increased difficulty training. For example, in the beginning, when someone else is inside, and you and Cassie are outside. When the person turns the dryer on and Cassie acknowledges that ther is a sound (but IS NOT fearful of it), treat her with steak chunks, or whatever is her most favorite treat.

Hope this helps! There is more detail to the procedure, but it would be very similar to training a gun shy dog, and there is a LOT of information available available on that (google it).

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

I understand what I have to do. Thank you.

When I'm drying my hair with the hair dryer Cassie is in the same room laying on the floor and she is ok with it. She's not scared. But when I blew the air on her that's when she got scared.

This morning I put her food bowl in my room. She was ok with entering my room. We will see again tonight how she goes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Both mine are a bit afraid of the air from the dryer. They will come into the room when I am drying my hair, but if I turn it their way (doing the back of my hair) they jump back.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Mike Richards is offline Senior Member

I never use a hair dryer on mine, don't know for sure but i hear that it's bad for their skin and coat. Best to let dry naturally..
    Ozzy Born 19th March 2012

Axel Born 19th Aug 2009

Never moon a werewolf....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Richards View Post
    I never use a hair dryer on mine, don't know for sure but i hear that it's bad for their skin and coat. Best to let dry naturally..
    Yes, I know that but this was the 2nd time.. I usually dry her with a towel but this time I used the dryer because she was still wet and she was about to go for sleep in front of the fan.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Hope you are able to resolve Cassie's hair dryer fear.

My Lexi on the other hand, LOVES the hair dryer. If she hears the hair dryer running, she comes in the bathroom & nudges me until I turn it on her. If I happen to have my head upside down fluffing the curls, she will actually push her head between mine & the hair dryer.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Quote Originally Posted by Lexis Mom View Post
    Hope you are able to resolve Cassie's hair dryer fear.

My Lexi on the other hand, LOVES the hair dryer. If she hears the hair dryer running, she comes in the bathroom & nudges me until I turn it on her. If I happen to have my head upside down fluffing the curls, she will actually push her head between mine & the hair dryer.
    hahaha that's cool and crazy in a cute way! ah! I wish Cassie was like that.
    Last edited by mistarkos; 09-05-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

Gus is not afraid of the dryer either, he acts like a monkey if I point it to him. He will jump at it and acts like he wants to attack it. It's a game with him. However, I have never used it to dry him...he might act differently with that.

justine is offline Senior Member

My dogs don't like the hair dryer, either. They don't like having air blown on them and they are loud, too. I would try what Karen suggested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast