Just Labradors banner

Our Beginner Novice debut today wasn't too shabby...

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  justine 
#1 ·
We got a 191 1/2 out of a possible 200, despite me shaking so hard the stewards thought I was going to fall on the figure 8s. LOL We lost points pretty much where I thought we would- I just thought we'd lose a lot more. Somehow, I held it together enough that I didn't cry when we were done.

#7 ·
Hey Sue - I am going to jump into obedience from Rally, we start our pre-novice class next Monday. What's the difference between Beginner and the regular Novice classes? I know Beginner is non-titling, but is that the only difference?

We are hoping to finish our AKC RE and UKC URO3 by the end of the year.. then we'll jump over to obedience and probably work on our RAE at the same time. I'm a rally addict. :)

#10 ·
Hey Sue - I am going to jump into obedience from Rally, we start our pre-novice class next Monday. What's the difference between Beginner and the regular Novice classes? I know Beginner is non-titling, but is that the only difference?...
Actually, Beginner Novice is a titling class, but it's an optional one. The heeling pattern is done on lead, and with Rally signs marking the pattern (only Left, Right, Right About Turn, Fast, Slow, and of course Normal are used). The Halt/Sit is at the end of the pattern. Figure 8 is the same as Novice. Instead of a Stand For Exam, it's a Sit. You walk to the end of your leash (must be a 6 foot one) and the judge only touches the dog's head. Sits & Downs are replaced with a Sit Stay. You sit your dog where the judge designates, drop the leash next to the dog, and walk around the perimeter of the ring. The Recall is about 25 feet, and all the dog has to do is come to front and sit close enough that you can reach their collar (of course, straight and center, ideally). Talking is the same as in Novice, except you can give one verbal praise during each excercise.

The link should take you to the BN section of the regs. If not, it's starts on page 43. http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/RO2999.pdf

...I'm a rally addict. :)
LOL Me, too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.