Has anyone trained a puppy to ring a bell to go out?? How to teach this?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone trained a puppy to ring a bell to go out?? How to teach this?

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

QuestionHas anyone trained a puppy to ring a bell to go out?? How to teach this?

Diesel is doing great potty training, (knock on wood) and I have noticed he will go to the door when he wants out.
    Since the back door is not in my normal line of sight in the house, I thought I could teach him how to nose or paw a bell
    to get my attention when I am in another room.

I have heard of people teaching this trick.
    Has anyone taught this trick to their dog?? And how did you do it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Hang the bells on the doorknob. You can find some made specifically for this purpose. The ones we have are three sleigh bells on a leather strap with a brass ring for hanging on the knob.

Every.single.time you open that door to let Diesel out to potty, jiggle the bells. You can say something like "Ring the bells!" when you do it, that's up to you. The first time he touches them, praise him to the skies and immediately let him out. Make sure that, in the beginning, you let him out every time he touches them. They pick up on it very quickly.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

I taught Cassie to ring the bell everytime she wants to go out. First I taught her the word "pee" and "go potty". Then I hang the bell on the kitchens doorknob and everytime we went out I was pointing at the bell and say the word "pee" and "go potty" and hit the bell. After a few times I pointed the bell without touching it and say the words. I wouldn't open the door unless she touched the bell. When she touched it I praised and opened the door.

Now she rangs the bell everytime she wants to go out for any reason. But you have to open the door everytime Diesel rings the bell no matter what. Even by mistake.

If Cassie rings the bell and I don't open immediately she keeps ringing the bell every 3 seconds.

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

oh, I see. We will work on that soon as I get some bells.
    I have already taught him "touch." Where he will come to me and touch whichever palm I have out to my side.

Will it work to have him "touch" my hand in front of the bell, making it ring... and say some like "ring the bell" ..."go out"??
    Or will that confuse him?

amazongold is offline Senior Member

"Touch" is a separate command. Don't confuse him. If you ring the bells every time you let him out that door, he will connect that very quickly and start doing it on his own. The main things is that the first time he touches those bells, and every time after, you let him out right away!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Ok, Thanks! Will get my bells and start on this with him.

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

They are two different commands for two different things. Like amazongold said don't confuse it.

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

Abbysmomanddad is offline Junior Member

We taught the bell ring w/ Abby at about 9 weeks old. She had it down within 1 week. She is now 10 mos. old and doesn't ring the bell much anymore but it was cute when she was little.

We religiously took her out about every 2 hrs. all day and night. Before going out we would hold her and use her paw or nose to ring the bell. When she would go potty we would praise her and give her a treat. Since that time she has never had an accident inside....she doesn't get a treat anymore for potty either.

Here is a very short video we took of her ringing the bell (it's still hanging by the door).

Abby ringing the bell - YouTube

awww, she's so cute!.

Kayce and Diesel heard her little bark and came to see who I am cheating with!

I am heading out in a min to find some bells. Sept in Mount Holly.... where to find some bells????
    We actually have a Christmas shoppe here, but it's closed for the season.... And I am sure as heck avoiding
    uptown Charlotte, not going to deal with the DNC traffic and street closures...

justine is offline Senior Member

I think most dogs pick it up pretty quickly. Just ring the bells EVERY time you open the door to go outside. I'm sure your pup will figure it out pretty quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast