First time Lab Owner Shedding Realization
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First time Lab Owner Shedding Realization

MissZoesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultFirst time Lab Owner Shedding Realization

I love Labs. I love the fact that after years of waiting I have my sweet, intelligent, fabulous Star who is such a great fit for my family. I did not realize how much I did not love the shedding. LOL Star is my first Lab, and when I heard Lab's shed a lot I was comparing them to my Dalmatian Zoe, who I thought shed a lot. I had no clue. I was completely uninitiated. Nothing else makes me look twice, except when she ate the heels off of my favorite pair of strappy heeled sandals, LOL. Now, there is no real point to this text other than my newbie self laughing at my own shock. She is a wonderful dog and I wouldn't trade her for the world though. She is my son's best friend and my jogging buddy, not to mention the fact that she woke us all up when my stove had a gas leak a month ago and we were able to get out of the house unharmed. But la, the hair! LOL Did anyone else have a shocking realization when they brought their first Lab home?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

I realized it years ago when we got our first lab. But we love them so much we now have three. I just go through bags faster with three & usually burn up a sweeper every few years. But they are worth it.

patm is offline Senior Member

You will soon learn to color coordinate everything you own around her color

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MyAngelPuppy is offline Member

I thought my lab was a bad shedder...then I got an American Mastiff...He sheds like CRAZY!

I have to agree one two points though...1)everything in my house is colored to hide dog hair and 2) I wouldn't trade either one of them for the world.

Actually I just learned that I became allergic to dogs in February of this past year. I have been taking a 24 allergy pill ever since...and I will until my "puppies" are gone in their own natural time. To me it's worth the extra sweeping, vacuuming, and even extra medications. I love my dogs!
    Mistie
    "Mommy" to :

"Aunt" and temporary "mommy" to:

mommacomet is offline Senior Member

I know how your feeling. I have had lots of breeds of dogs throughout my life but Katie is my first Lab. We have always had goldens and I thought they shed horribly. The huge joke with Madison was she would lay down on our dark blue carpet and when she got up there was a police outline. She would only shed however twice a year really bad for about 2 weeks. Katie I swear leaves me enough hair to make several dogs. She sheds a lot!! Love her to death but I swear she should be bald by now. LOL

cjmeck is offline Member

I was just coming here to say this!! Boomer is shedding like MAD. There are literally tumbleweeds of dog hair blowing across my living room. But, his hair seems longer than I'd expect for a lab (he's a lab mix); maybe over an inch I guess. I just assumed it was the shepherd in him that is causing this. Yes, he's my first lab. I vacuumed the house and after 1 DAY my entire Dyson vacuum canister was full of hair. YIKES!!! I brushed him out really well in the backyard and I swear, it looks like someone killed a cat back there, lol. Its a good thing he's cute
    Jennifer and:
    Boomer, yellow lab mix (born approx. March 2008)
    Rescued from kill shelter and home forever Sept. 2009

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

Yep, it's a shocker alright. But I concur with the sentiments about how much we love and would never trade our lab for anything!
    Sweet Bella Mia at Zion National Park.

lisa is offline Senior Member

I learned with my first lab how very much they shed...sweeping up fur 3 times a day, but she passed away last year and now I have 2 more..it is just a little added housework, but they are such a joy I wouldn't trade them for a million dollars.

Wendy B. is offline Senior Member

Not a shock at all-love the tumbleweed dog hair on the wood floors-not-but would not change a thing at all with all the joy I receive it's a small price to pay.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

I knew it before I got her. BUT if you are used to birds and guinea pigs... a lab isn't really worse.

But I have a wired thing going on, I don't mind the hairs at all and often think how boring it would be with a non-shedding dog. And I find it amusing when visitors start picking hair out of their clothes .
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast