Great while it lasted....

Thread: Great while it lasted....

FLMike is offline Member

DefaultGreat while it lasted....

As some of you may know, I lucked into a part time job at a local Dog Day Care and Boarding facility. The place is fantastic - individual bedrooms for the dogs; crates are available if the dog prefers a crate, but the bedrooms have "theme" dog sized beds (a race car, a four posted bed, etc.). There are two and a half acres out back divided into three different sections or can be opened up into one big area. There is a resort style pool with a water fall and baby sized pool plus another fiberglass pool in another section.

The owner laid out almost $1 million dollars for the property, building, grounds and equipment. She hired a couple to run the place for her. They did a good job, but, as is often the case with a couple working together, they developed some problems. I now know that they were really taking advantage of the owner (she paid their rent, gave them a vehicle to drive, paid for their gas, plus other personal items in addition to their salary), The couple had a huge fight at work, the owner got involved and ultimately ended up in jail. The female part of the couple was fired and the male part is currently in jail (believed they got invovled in another fight while he was trying to get his stuff from their shared home).

This week my "part time job" has turned into six days per week!! The wife has been coming in with me each morning cleaning the rooms and helping out. But, I was told today that she intends to close the business as of Friday. Such a shame!! She had a really good idea, a great heart and was willing to lay it on the line but got put out of business by hiring the wrong people.....

She apparently is going to keep her other location in the other end of our county going. I wish her all the luck in the world....

Michael

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

smokey is offline Senior Member

Too bad, sounds like she trusted them too much.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Awwww, that is a shame! Too bad you could not take it on full time and rescue it!

How many dogs can he facility board or day care? In the last few years I have become very familiar with the boarding and doggie day care facilities, and understand how much work it can be, especially with limited staffing.
    Last edited by Belles mom; 08-28-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

That is very sad. Bad idea hiring an involved couple.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

justine is offline Senior Member

Oh wow - that sounds like a great place! Such a shame to have it close

FLMike is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    Awwww, that is a shame! Too bad you could not take it on full time and rescue it!

How many dogs can he facility board or day care? In the last few years I have become very familiar with the boarding and doggie day care facilities, and understand how much work it can be, especially with limited staffing.
    It is currently set up to board around 20 dogs. The Day Care part can handle many more. She had built a number of bedrooms in one section already and was going to start on another section. The building has two other sections that can be used for retail/office space and the plan was to lease part of it to a Vet. There is also a second floor which was used for storage with the orginial owner (a lighting fixture and home decor business)

It would be a great opportunity for someone with good business sense and some financial backing. As for me, no thanks, already retired and was just enjoying working with the dogs.

She is going to list it with a Kennel Broker and see if someone wants to purchase the building and all equipment. I hope someone comes forward cause I think it has great potential in the right hands. The grounds are perfect and the pool is incredible. I am going to try to attach a photo of the pool area to this message Scarlett in Pool.jpg

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Hopefully the right person will come along and purchase it, it sounds like a wondeful opportunity and facility. It is such a shame that hiring the wrong people brought this to a crashing halt.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Jimmyfan914 is offline Senior Member

Can I stay there? Looks fantastic! My pups would go nuts-o!
    Last edited by Jimmyfan914; 08-30-2012 at 05:52 PM.

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

Wow, I am not one to leave my pets, but would consider a place like that! Shame the people screwed her over! Another reason I like dogs better every day! Dogs and children, LOL.

Stunning!
    Home of:

Forrest CGC- Lab 2001-2011
    Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-
    And 30-some Miniature Horses...

www.fieldofdreamsminihorses.com

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his leader, his love. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Unknown