So much frustration!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So much frustration!!!

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

DefaultSo much frustration!!!

So.....my 23 year old son's good friend got a new lab puppy. He is basically dumb about puppy raising and I have been trying to help all I can. He either doesn't listen, or doesn't think I know anything I am talking about. First, when he was looking to buy a puppy, I told him about finding a reputable breeder and health clearances etc. So the other day he comes in all excited with his 8 1/2 week old black lab puppy. He said his dad gave him the money and the pup cost $200. No papers, but purebred. Sigh....I didn't say much, it was already done, but advised him to get pet insurance.

So then I ask what the breeder was feeding him. He doesn't know. He said he fed whatever food his dad had for his dog the day before and the puppy had thin poop. I explained about feeding. I told him to gradually change the food and to call the breeder to see what was being fed. About an hour later he is in the kitchen feeding his puppy some of Sophie's food. I asked if he called the breeder, he said no. I explained to him about puppy foods being different from adult foods and how his puppy needs a quality food for puppies. So, he heads to the market and shows up here with a bag of adult kibble, the cheapest store brand they had. I explained it to him again. We discussed calcium and the fact that the food was mostly cereal. I warned him of China imported treats and salmonella etc. The next day I see some doggy chewys and ask if he checked the label for where it was made. Well, you know the answer to that.

I discussed with him at length about puppy immunizations. I went over it with him numerous times. I told him not to take the puppy anywhere where there is a possibility that an unvaccinated dog could have been. We talked about parvo, and I explained what a titer in the blood is. I told him to not let the puppy on the floor at the vet's office, no public parks or walks in public place till the puppy is vaccinated fully. Well, guess what??? Yesterday he took the puppy up to a very popular swimming spot at a river. It is also a camground, and has heavy use and lots of dogs every time I have been there. He proceeded to brag about how good his pup did on the leash I gave him. I over heard this, and about hit the ceiling!!! I asked him what part of "don't take that puppy to public places didn't he get?" His response: You said not to take him to the park!! REALLY???? This kid is a 23 yr old college senior!! Even my sons came down on him at this point. He says to me, I didn't take him down where the other dogs were, I was a ways away from them. I said, "I told you that parvo lives in the dirt for years and comes from dog feces!" Sigh....

He has taken the puppy off to another town and to college with him now. Before he left (even though I was probably wasting my breath) I discussed crating him, since he lives in an apartment. I talked to him about baby proofing, not yelling at his dog, and whining and barking when he is in class, and his neighbors possible taking exception. He has no roomate to help out. Sigh.... He seems to really love the puppy. I just hope there are guardian angles for little puppies who have idiot kids for owners!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luvmyrescue is offline Member

wow!! I was frustrated just reading that!! I cant imagine how you feel! But you did give him some great advice, and you have basically done all you could do at this point..Hopefully he will smarten up and start listening to it..or, as much as it sucks to say it, he will learn the hard way... Do you know his parents?? Maybe you can speak to them about talking some sense into him...
    Jessie

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Thanks for your input, Jessie. I do know his parents and have for years. They divorced 2 years ago. Both are dating now. When the young man comes home from college, he stays here or at his grandma's. No room for him the the apartments of either parent. Sad. I have known him his entire life, and he's always been hard-headed.. This puppy won't take care of itself and I worry how its going to go....
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

my2labs is offline Senior Member

That just breaks my heart. No animal deserves to live with a naive person. I hope he heeds your advice when it comes to his pup. I would hate for anything bad to happen to the little guy because his owner is a dunce.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I just hope there are guardian angles for little puppies who have idiot kids for own
    I believe there are guardian angels for all dogs who have irresponsible owners. I see neighbor dogs loose on the street, getting into garbage all the time yet they seem to be OK.
    (Remember youngsters believe that old people know nothing. They just pretend to listen to us to humor us or to be polite.)

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Does he have a Facebook page or somewhere you can publicly post "great, fantastic awesome" links you "just" found on puppy care? Since you know the he "loves his puppy so much, and wants to do the best for it" you thought he might "enjoy" it, or be able to pass the info on to somebody that it not as "knowledgable" as he is?

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

justine is offline Senior Member

Ugh. That would be super frustrating for me, too!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

All you can do is pray, Pam. I like Karen's idea, most kids live on Facebook, at least mine do!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

You tried and thanks for that. I just hope the pup doesn't end up at the pound or on CL.

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Wow....prayers for the new puppy. Frustrating to be sure!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast