Pure bred labs??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pure bred labs??

swmasson is offline Junior Member

QuestionPure bred labs??

Hi there,

We are just away to go and look at some lab puppies as we've been looking into it for some time, currently we live in Trinidad (down in the Caribbean) and there are not much in way of trustworthy breeders or clubs on the island so was hoping to gain some advice from anyone that has more experience than ourselves...

The puppies we are going to see are apparently pure breds, but there are some patches of white on the black pups, atyer doing some research online i believe that this can be common in black labs and may not actually mean anything, but under their chest its quite a large patch... I was hoping you more experienced Lab owners might be able to tell from the photos i've attached to this post whether or not there is a high liklihood of them not being pure breds or if there is no real way to tell?

All the pups in the photos are from the same litter...

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, we leave to go view them in about an hour...

Thank in advance

Regards

SWM
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

It does seem like quite a bit of white. Some of it may disappear as they get older, but not all of it, especially on the chest.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

have you tried this site?
    Trinidad and Tobago Kennel Club
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

swmasson is offline Junior Member

thanks... went on the site and actually know one of the committee members, so sent him an email... but apart from that the websites down here are not that great... thanks for pointing out the site though, it reminded me about the guy that i know... fingers crossed he knows someone locally...

Tanya is offline Senior Member

sometimes breeders of different breeds know each other, so don't be afraid to reach out to breeders (reputable ones) of other breeds for help.

also, I saw your post on the other board about expecting a little one soon. Lab puppies are TONS of work. TONS. they may be great adults but the amount of time and effort and patience to get there is enormous. make sure to re-evaluate if this is a good time to get a puppy. Lab puppies can be absolutely demons at times.

I wouldn't discount a rescue. If you are ready for a puppy, getting a rescue that young puts the odds on your side. I would imagine there are very few reputable breeders near you and so even if you find one, they may not have a litter for awhile.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by swmasson View Post
    Hi there,

We are just away to go and look at some lab puppies as we've been looking into it for some time, currently we live in Trinidad (down in the Caribbean) and there are not much in way of trustworthy breeders or clubs on the island so was hoping to gain some advice from anyone that has more experience than ourselves...

The puppies we are going to see are apparently pure breds, but there are some patches of white on the black pups, atyer doing some research online i believe that this can be common in black labs and may not actually mean anything, but under their chest its quite a large patch... I was hoping you more experienced Lab owners might be able to tell from the photos i've attached to this post whether or not there is a high liklihood of them not being pure breds or if there is no real way to tell?

All the pups in the photos are from the same litter...

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, we leave to go view them in about an hour...

Thank in advance

Regards

SWM
    While it is possible that these puppies are pure bred - they don't look well bred to me. Not a breeder I would support. Do you know how to differentiate between good and bad breeders?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Foxred12 is offline Senior Member

I think a small white patch is allowable on the chest. Small being golf ball size? Couple of those guys look like they have a bit too much white for the standard.

Kid 12, Squirt 6, Tosh 4,
    Curly Born 11-10-2011
    Ember 9/10/2000 -- 8/25/2012

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. Roger Caras

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am not an expert by any strech of the imagination, just a Lab lover and longtime Lab owner, but I would definitely go with the advice from the 3 very experienced members above. Good luck!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Kassa was from an excellent breeder and she had a small white patch on her chest. It was hard to see most times unless you knew where to look.

Good luck with your hunt for a Lab. I think they are wonderful dogs.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Gerrly is offline Member

I'm not an expert, either, but something seems off with the shape of their heads/faces. Maybe they're just not well-bred, as BBD said.
    -Donna
    Indy (6/18/12) & Sonar (Gerrly) (10/7/98-6/9/11)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast