Whining puppy

Thread: Whining puppy

jrburnett23 is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhining puppy

Our new 9 week old chocolate puppy has a whining problem and we were curious if anyone else had the same problems. She only whines when we want to take her for short walks (on leash and off), car rides, and today while we were at the park she whined almost the whole time. We don't really understand why she whines during some things that most dogs get excited about. However, she never whines when we crate her or if we are playing with her in our yard, and her behavior otherwise is great. Just wondered if anyone else had this with their puppy at this age or could offer some advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

my2labs is offline Senior Member

Maybe it is new environments that make her nervous so she whines. Cars, walks, and dog parks can all take getting use to. After she gets use to them, you may find the whining decreasing. Sometimes puppies getting sensory overload

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by my2labs View Post
    Maybe it is new environments that make her nervous so she whines. Cars, walks, and dog parks can all take getting use to. After she gets use to them, you may find the whining decreasing. Sometimes puppies getting sensory overload
    I'll second what Jackie said. I'd like to add, tho, that you really should wait until she's had her 2nd round of shots before taking her "out and about" (like the park). That is usually around 12 weeks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

She's a baby. Don't push too much too soon. Also, as you were told, you are not supposed to take your puppy out to public areas until the vaccines are completed. Some people say after 2 shots, others say 3. We went with 3, just to be sure. Parvo is highly contageous and if you take your puppy where it is possible an unvaccinated dog could have been, you are taking a huge risk. When you take her to the vet, don't let her on the floor. Carry her. All kinds of awful ailments can be caught in a vet's office. As far a whining, take her for short trips. It might be good to have someone with you in the car, so that she can be cuddled and comforted. She sees such a huge world out there, you have lots of time for her to get used to it.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye