Does your dog sleep with you?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your dog sleep with you?

Scout's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultDoes your dog sleep with you?

I've posted on here that Scout was sent to a 30 days boot camp for training because he was out of control. He learned so many new skills from the camp and came home a different dog. Before he was hyper and out of control, now he is as calm as my former dog Rocky. We have bonded so much since he came home.

I went with him to PetSmart with just a regular collar, big mistake. He got very excited in the store and was somewhat difficult to manage. While I was there I met a man who had rescued a GSD about 3 weeks ago and the dog was amazingly calm for what he had been through the first year of his life. Anyway he asked me questions about my dog and we talked about training for 45 minutes in the aisle, turns out he was a dog trainer and is very skilled. I was very impressed with his knowlege and willingness to spend so much time with me so I respected him. I told him a few of the things that I have allowed with my dog and he said it was not a good idea at all to let my dog sleep with me. He also told me that I petted him too much and that I shouldn't give him attention until he works for it. That is very hard for me to do. I just want to have a fun and carefree relationship with dog, of course there are rules and strictly enforced, but I think it is sad that we can't be sponataneously affectionate with our best friends.

Saw Scout's trainer today and she told me it was fine to have him sleep on the bed. She greeted Scout with great exuberance, and loving affection. You would have thought it was her long lost dog, but Scout loves her. Probably for her balance between discipline and affection. She doesn't have the pack leader mentality, but she does firmly but gently enforce the rules. So what do you think, is sleeping on the bed a no-no, I hope not because I like having him there. I just want to do the wrong thing, so I'm checking in here to see what you all have to say.

Thanks,
    Debbie
    Debbie (Scout's Mom)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

I think that you might want to do the right thing LOL

My two sleep in my bedroom ! One on the bed , one on the floor mostly but occassionally two on the bed !

I don't think that there is a problem as long as you are in charge !

I regularly tell the youngster to get off the bed so that I can straighten the duvet so he knows who's boss ! Jasper not so much as he prefers his beds on the floor and he hovers between each through the night !

Scout's Mom is offline Senior Member

Thanks Samson. Scout is only allowed on the bed by invitation only. I guess I am too concerned about doing the right thing. I just want to make sure I'm being a good mom, or owner of my dog. But I am a bit too neurotic about it.
    Debbie (Scout's Mom)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MNLab is offline Senior Member

My two are allowed on by invitation, Daisy sometimes invites herself, but neither have had habits or problems because of it. Lola is a huge snuggler and LOVES the bed, Daisy tends to start on it, and ends up in her crate (her decision). I myself love having them sleep with me and don't think I'd be able to give that up!
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Bauer sleeps on the bed if he is invited. He is invited when I cover the comforter in a sheet. If there isn't a sheet, he doesn't attempt to get on the bed (he sleeps on his bed, or goes downstairs).
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Sadie sleeps around our room, the kids rooms, couch....

Samson is offline Senior Member

Awww Sadie ! How sweetly you are wrapped !

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Mine are not allowed on any furniture, but not because of dominance / territoriality issues, just because I don´t want my furniture ruined and full of dog hair and slobber. They sleep on their doggie bed right besides my bed.

My cocker used to sleep with us in the bed and to be honest the snoring was not fun, I couldn´t move freely because they cuddle on you, it becomes too warm, etc...

The issue comes when some dogs think the bed is theirs and start defending it and not allowing anybody on the bed. Not all dogs do it. Little ones tend to

georgie is offline Senior Member

Ours sleep with us.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    Awww Sadie ! How sweetly you are wrapped !
    thanks!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast