Dumb question about Kennel aire crates

Thread: Dumb question about Kennel aire crates

hark67 is offline Senior Member

DefaultDumb question about Kennel aire crates

Do any of you have the old kennel Aire crates with the indentations in the plastic? I am assuming that these round depressions increase the strength of the plastic but am wondering what you do to make your dogs comfortable on it. Seems the newer versions have flat bottoms.
    Rather than buy new crates I was thinking of getting one of those plastic cow mats cut for the bottom...it would hopefully to allow water to go through and keep the dogs off those humps. Does anyone know where I can find something like this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I think you mean Vari Kennels. Kennel Aire crates are wire. I have a Vari Kennel that is over 20 years old (was given to me in 1991 when Mick was a pup). Doubling up on the crate mats solved the problem of the "bumps" in the bottom.

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Yes....that is what I meant! I imagine mine are that vintage too. The only problem with doubling up on crate mats is that we do hunt training and end up with wet and usually dirty dogs going back into the crate. I was hoping to get something that I could hose off and woudl keep them elevated off the bumps.

Do you know if the new Vari Kennels have the bumps? Or what the purpose of having them are?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kootenaydogs is offline Senior Member

I've got a couple of those old Vari Kennels too. My hubby made a "floor" out of 1/4 inch plywood which he covered with Arborite. Makes for a nice smooth floor which is easily washed off. I remember someone else who used "peg board" for the floor. Because the peg board has holes in it, you can put a wet dog into the crate and the water will just drip through the holes while the dog stays high and dry.
    Marianne
    Trip (LabX)
    Tasha (GSD)
    Sisko (Lab)

Quote Originally Posted by hark67 View Post
    Yes....that is what I meant! I imagine mine are that vintage too. The only problem with doubling up on crate mats is that we do hunt training and end up with wet and usually dirty dogs going back into the crate. I was hoping to get something that I could hose off and woudl keep them elevated off the bumps...
    I found putting a bath mat on top of the top mat helps. Another idea is a reusable pee pad.

...Do you know if the new Vari Kennels have the bumps? Or what the purpose of having them are?
    I think I saw someplace that the new ones don't have the bumps. Other brands don't have them, either. I'm not quite sure what the purpose of them is, but they sure are a pain,a ren't they?

There are waterproof crate mats/pads out there, too. Dog Beds & Pads: Drs. Foster and Smith Thick Foam Crate Pads| Scent-Lok Dog Beds On one of my many police/mwd sites I know I came across something that sounds exactly what you're looking for. As soon as I find it, I'll post it.

labby is offline Senior Member

I was hoping to get something that I could hose off and woudl keep them elevated off the bumps.
    Try a horse stall mat available at most TSCs. I use them in the bottom of my crates. They're heavy but they hose off nicely.

Laura