Jasper's TPLO - opinions please.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jasper's TPLO - opinions please.

Samson is offline Senior Member

DefaultJasper's TPLO - opinions please.

So He's now nine weeks into his procedure with another three to go before he is officially signed off as fit. ( I know that he needs to take things gently for at least another 15 weeks.

He saw the surgeon at six weeks and they reported good bone healing and implants that are in the right place.

He needed a general so that they could manipulate him to take the x rays and he was suffering from the effects for three days after.

He is supposed to go back to see the surgeon at 12 weeks and they are planning to take more X-rays and I'm not sure why. If he is walking fine ( which he has been for three or four weeks now ) then why put him through the 72 hours of misery again ?

He is 10 years old ! He would have to be in a very bad way for me to consider more surgery for him, so who benefits from a further set of x rays ? He isn't into agility or anything like that - just the occasional humping of another dog if it takes his fancy.

I'm fairly clear as to what is expected for his recovery for the next 15 weeks so I am contemplating missing what would be his last appointment ! At £371.00 it's not cheap and as far as I'm concerned, the surgeon will be being paid to see that his work is done.

Now tell me why this is a bad idea !
    Last edited by Samson; 08-25-2012 at 08:15 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

no expert advice - but if it makes him that sick I'd say the risks outweigh the benefits...the only thing I can think of is to see that the implants are still where they need to be - but I'd also hazard a guess that if they shifted he wouldn't be walking as right.

At 10 - I'd leave it go!

hugs for Jasper!

Barbara1 is offline Member

In my very humble opinion ALL doctors will suggest doing things just because that's what they DO. They have the training, the techniques, the equipment...so it's sort of, "well, let's just see what we can do..." When we had our beloved Belle in the very very very expensive emergency hospital they wanted to run all sorts of expensive tests when we all knew what was wrong with her...after $2,500, we ended up having her put down as her problems (leptospirosis) became worse not better no matter what they did....and they still wanted to send samples to Guelph University and wait 10 days for results!!!! At hundreds more dollars....when she would not have lasted that long in any case.

So follow your own gut instinct.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Unless they could use something less strong, that does not cause him 3 days of misery I would probably skip the x-rays also unless there wasan obvious issue. I am hardly an expert and know very little about the procedure and necessary after care, it is just what I would feel more comfortable with. I am so glad he is doing so well. You did an awesome job taking care if him!

Garth is offline Registered Users

At least it would (hopefully) give you added peace of mind knowing everything is normal. It's tough on poor Jasper though.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Tough call Colin. I think I would go with my gut feeling. You know your boy best.

labby is offline Senior Member

They need to be sure the bone has healed enough so he can start normal activity. Seamus took 4 months to heal before he was deemed fit. That's longer than the average dog. Had I not known this specifically, I could have undone everything he had gone through.

When you take him back in, tell them he had a bad reaction to the anesthesia. There are other options I'm sure. Be polite but firm that you do NOT want that same anesthesia given to him and can they first try to do the films without any anesthesia first. Seamus was not anesthetized for his films.

Laura

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

"He needed a general so that they could manipulate him to take the x rays and he was suffering from the effects for three days after."
    Was his suffering due to the anesthesia or the manipulation?

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jane View Post
    "He needed a general so that they could manipulate him to take the x rays and he was suffering from the effects for three days after."
    Was his suffering due to the anesthesia or the manipulation?
    That's what I was wondering as well.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    They need to be sure the bone has healed enough so he can start normal activity. Seamus took 4 months to heal before he was deemed fit. That's longer than the average dog. Had I not known this specifically, I could have undone everything he had gone through.

When you take him back in, tell them he had a bad reaction to the anesthesia. There are other options I'm sure. Be polite but firm that you do NOT want that same anesthesia given to him and can they first try to do the films without any anesthesia first. Seamus was not anesthetized for his films.
    Thing is Laura that he has been in cotton wool even since his 6 months visit so what could possibly have gone wrong ? I am confident that if I insist on a different anaesthetic it will undoubtably cost more - not less and yet the end product will be the same !

At the twelve week point, he will still need a lot of looking after so that's my point !

My money pot is not endless and he seems OK at this point ! As I said in the OP, he would need to be in a bad way for me to agree to further surgery regardless of the position of the implants ! Too much stress for a poor old dog - and he wouldn't like it either !
    Last edited by Samson; 08-25-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast