ok it's 3:30am, Can you explain this!?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ok it's 3:30am, Can you explain this!?

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

Defaultok it's 3:30am, Can you explain this!?

Cassie is out of her crate during night since July without any accidents (no pees and poops) She always sleeps on the floor and at 5:30-06:00'am she jumps on the bed to wake me up.

It was about 3:30'am when Cassie jumped on the bed and wanted me to pat her. Then she got down of the bed and I heard her peeing. I turned on the light and while she was peeing I yelled at her and she had this ashamed look. She knew I was mad.

Then I opened my bedrooms door to take her to her room in her crate. Then she goes to the kitchen and rings the door bell to go out. I let her out and she went for another pee. When she finished she went to another spot for another pee.
    Then she lay on the porch and she wouldn't come in. She still had this ashamed look. I had to pull he up to come in the house. When I finaly got her in the house she wouldn't come in her bedroom, she didn't want to get in the crate. But I finaly crated her.

When she wakes up in the morning and wants to go out she knocks my bedrooms door letting me know that she wants out. Tonight she didn't do it. I don't know why. This is the first accident in the house for a long time now. She always goes for a last pee before we go to sleep. I don't know why she couldn't hold it and why she didn't knock the door.

Did I do the right thing at yelling at her and for putting her in the crate? Shall I crate her only for tonight or for a week?
    Shall I hang another bell on my bedrooms door? But then she would ring it all night long. The idea is to learn to hold her over night.

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Last edited by mistarkos; 08-24-2012 at 10:22 PM.

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

She's a Child. Shout at a child and you give them a complex.

It was a one off mistake and IMO you should have just corrected her.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Well, she did wake you up! You might have realized it wasn't like her to wake you up in this manner and that she needed something. It is her only way of telling you. Perhaps she had already tried to wake you and you were sleeping too soundly to notice, so she jumped up on the bed. Sophie will wake us up when she needs to go out. I don't think you yelling at her helped matters. She obviously could not hold it any longer when you didn't get up immediately to let her out. Sticking her back in a crate when she hasn't used it in awhile just reinforced that she was in trouble. If all this peeing isn't normal, I would watch her. If it keeps up she could have a UTI. Since she peed several times, she obviously really HAD to go! In her defense, she tried to wake you up.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Mitzi, Judy, and Bruno all had UTIs when they were pups. Take a fresh sample of her pee to the vet for testing. If that's the problem, you can't address any housebreaking issues until it's cleared up. I would rule that out first.

I feel bad for yelling at her. It wasn't YELLING YELLING.. I've raised my voice and said: "Cassie what have you done!?

I will hang a bell on my bedrooms door she can ring it if she wants to go out.

What is a UTI ?

urinary tract infection

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post

It was a one off mistake and IMO you should have just corrected her.
    How do you correct this? What I should have done?

More or less what you did but without the yelling ! Just redirect her to where she should be peeing. I know how infuriating this is especially early in the morning so don't feel too bad about it !

bett is offline Senior Member

i'm thinking uti.
    did you actually see her pee when she went out, or just squat?

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

We mention a UTI because that frequency of peeing is odd - might wanna get it checked out - esp if the unexpected peeing continues. Only one UTI here between the 2 dogs - but I knew it was off on the 1st pee - Harle has NEVER peed inside before or since - so I knew something was off esp as she'd just come in...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast