8 month old "mouthing"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 month old "mouthing"

mosmama is offline Senior Member

Default8 month old "mouthing"

Limo is 8 mos now and all of a sudden starting mouthing arms, hands etc....what is this about and what can be done besides putting a toy in his mouth when available? I believe it may be a dominence thing with him, but him being neutered I'm hoping I won't have too many dominence issues. Any help or ideas would be appreicated! Thanks!
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

sounds bored and is trying to get your attention. Try upping the exercise.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

DefaultMouthing

Homer mouthes my arm or hand when he is showing affection. I don't think it's a dominance thing at all (at least for homer). We call it slugging and you have to be on his special list to get it. It's kinda slobbery and gross but I think it's his only way to show his love.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Felix is offline Senior Member

Dogs at the age of 8 months are not thinking about dominance issues, that's after they get the adult status at 12 months or beyond ...

And, dogs discover the world on their ways .. And yes, thats managed by the mouth

And neutering a dog, doesnt help if it is a very dominance type, the only thing that happens when you neuter a dog, is that they get more directed into food, and get more mellow, but if you have real dominance issues they wont go away

greg is offline Senior Member

i agree with felix and homerdad.labs are just naturaly mouthy.with jack i just stopped what ever activity that we were involved in. i found out that a doggie time-out works pretty well.

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Dozer is 8 months old and does it for attention. I give him a toy to play with and if that doesn't stop it he goes for a timeout. It doesn't matter how much exercise he has had he still does it. I think its the age. Testing the waters so to speak.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I disagree with dogs at this age not having dominance issues....Java is only 11 months and I dealt with dominance issues with her over the summer. It is possible for the dog to have dominance issues at a young age.
    Anyways....Java will only mouth, gently, when she wants attention or is super excited.

Felix is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by javasmom View Post
    I disagree with dogs at this age not having dominance issues....Java is only 11 months and I dealt with dominance issues with her over the summer. It is possible for the dog to have dominance issues at a young age.
    Anyways....Java will only mouth, gently, when she wants attention or is super excited.
    Trust me, a young dog doesnt have any dominance in him, until he reached the adulthood ...

Often people say it is dominance with a youngster or older dog, and if you examen the behaviour, it is not even close nearby dominance

And mouthing a arm or leg, isnt even close to dominant behaviour

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Trust me, a young dog doesnt have any dominance in him, until he reached the adulthood ...

Often people say it is dominance with a youngster or older dog, and if you examen the behaviour, it is not even close nearby dominance

And mouthing a arm or leg, isnt even close to dominant behaviour
    I agree that the mouthing isn't dominant behavior, but I still disagree that young dogs don't show dominance.
    I have experienced it with one of my girls and yes, it was dominant behavior.

mosmama is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. Limo has NEVER showed dominance, I was just asking the question. He only does it when he is super excited with when I first get home or when someone comes over, he does it. I have been trying putting a toy in his mouth. Thanks again!
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast