Puppy update!

Thread: Puppy update!

Gerrly is offline Member

DefaultPuppy update!

So sorry it has taken me so long to update! You may remember me from the Introductions as the one who didn't bother to check the calendar when I agreed to buy a puppy at 6.5 weeks! So, hey, here I am. I would've updated sooner but my 18-month-old is INSANE. Crazier than the puppy, no joke. That's pretty hard to beat, eh?

So anyway, Indy (puppy) is doing great!! Thanks to you all, I've been very aware of the possible excessive biting and have been doing my best to be consistent in order to nip it in the bud. I think the fact that I'm home and around her almost constantly (that may be another problem, re: anxiety) has helped tremendously because I'm right here to correct her immediately. Big shout out to my Min Pin (in case he reads this board) for helping with bite inhibition, as well. She responds really well. I'm hoping she keeps it up.

It's really funny to watch the dogs play. The Min Pin, Duke, usually jumps up on the couch to get a bit of an advantage.

Indy is a sweetheart! She's been responding to obedience training excellently (when I get her at an attentive time, anyway). She does have a bit of an anxiety issue, but maybe it's normal in puppies? She throws up in her crate when I put her there when I leave the house. Her crate is directly next to my side of the bed, so she's generally okay at night (whines occasionally, but not bad). So, is the anxiety normal?

Another thing: she gained 6.5 pounds in 2 weeks, from 6.5 weeks to 8.5 weeks. She was 16.5 pounds at 8.5 weeks. Her dad was a pretty big lab; looked to me to be about 90-100 pounds. Her mom was average female lab size. What do you all think about her size as an adult? I don't mind either way!

Thanks to all who helped advise me a few weeks ago!

PS She does have a little white mark on her chin that you can see in the one pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Donna
    Indy (6/18/12) & Sonar (Gerrly) (10/7/98-6/9/11)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I am glad things are moving along well for you. As far as weight gain, 2lbs a week is about average. Love the pics!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

tismom is offline Senior Member

Congratulations! She's a cutie.

Titan--Chocolate 4/15/01
    Moses--Yellow 10/12/09

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Cute pup!

Bella

justine is offline Senior Member

The anxiety may also be related to being younger when she was removed from her mother and littermates. I would try to make the crate the best place ever by feeding her in the crate, giving her treats/chews/etc in the crate and never use it for punishment. Start by putting her in there with something to chew on and leave the door open while you are closeby.. gradually increase the time she's in there and progress to shutting the door while she's in there. Then you can pretend to leave the house, ie put on your shoes, grab your keys, whatever you normally do that might make her think you're leaving.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    The anxiety may also be related to being younger when she was removed from her mother and littermates. I would try to make the crate the best place ever by feeding her in the crate, giving her treats/chews/etc in the crate and never use it for punishment. Start by putting her in there with something to chew on and leave the door open while you are closeby.. gradually increase the time she's in there and progress to shutting the door while she's in there. Then you can pretend to leave the house, ie put on your shoes, grab your keys, whatever you normally do that might make her think you're leaving.
    Excellent advice!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Gerrly is offline Member

Thanks, Justine! I'll work on that!
    -Donna
    Indy (6/18/12) & Sonar (Gerrly) (10/7/98-6/9/11)

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Pretty baby!