Working full time and having a dog
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Working full time and having a dog

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

DefaultWorking full time and having a dog

Layla is with either me or my wife most of her life. My wife is a stay at home mom so having someone with Layla is usually pretty easy. If we all go out and she can't come with us we crate her. Normally we take two cars so I can leave and tend to Layla. I don't think we have left her in the crate for more than about 4 hours ever. My question is how do people who don't have someone staying at home handle their dogs? I started to think about this recently when my wife went on a trip for a week so I had to hold down the fort. That meant coming home for lunch breaks which was a royal pain.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

I have it easy, as most days though Saba is with my mom as I drop him off there when I go to work (she doesn't work and likes to walk with Saba). However, there are days when I have to leave him at home. I think Saba would hold it for 8-9 hours while I'm at work, but I simply wouldn't do that to him, so I come home at lunch (10 minute drive from the office). Mind you, he's not crated as he's not destructive, so he just hangs out in my bedroom or in the living room.
    However, not too long ago everyone was at my brother's wedding, so I had to hire someone to come and feed him and walk him. I'm sure he would survive the 8-10 hours without a walk, but again, I'd rather let him have a pee break.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

After the puppy stage I don't think it would be too hard. I work from home so I see what Bauer does all day . . . he sleeps. He might change positions, move to a different room, but for the most part he sleeps. ALL. DAY. LONG. He rarely asks to go outside during the day. I took him out at about 8:30 this morning, and he has been inside ever since. He will spring to life at about 5pm.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

I have to agree with Bauers Mom. I work from home too & all Lexi does is sleep. On the floor, on her chair, in my office, on her dog bed. This is especially true during the winter months. In the summer, she still sleeps, but that is on the front lawn, under the azelea bush, in the carport, on the back porch, on the front porch, etc.

If I were to go back to working outside the house, I would probably arrange for a dogsitter to come in at least once & let her out, maybe play with her a bit. Alternatively, I could send her to hang out with her grandpop aka my dad.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I have the tech from my vet's office come to my house at lunch time. She takes both dogs out back and plays with them for 10 - 15 minutes and then spends the rest of her lunch time eating her lunch and watching TV at my house. My 2 love her and so do I!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

We both work - I came home for the 1st 8 years of Morgan's life at lunch - PK has come home for the last 2 years - it's just what we do. When a new pup enters the picture (or if Morgan needs it as he gets older) - I will have one of our vet tech come 2 other times during the work day so I don't worry about him.

Quite frankly, I miss going home at lunch - there were MANY days just seeing my brown baby kept me from killing people back at the office...unfortunately I have a 45 min lunch hour and work over 1/2 hr away since we moved so PK gets the lunchtime relief!

my2labs is offline Senior Member

When we got Abbey and Cinder as puppies, my husband worked 5 minutes from home so he would come home everyday at lunch to feed them and let them out. After a year, they could hold it for the 8 hours we worked. We get Mo tomorrow and neither of us work close enough to let him out so we are hiring a pet sitter to come over and feed Abbey ( who is now 13 and would feel better with a midday potty break) and Mo ( who at 7 weeks, will need the midday potty break and lunch). We will probably have the sitter come every week day until Mo is about 6 months old.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

I am lucky enough to be able to come home for lunch pretty well each day. Nibbs is old enough now that if I had to stay a whole day he could cope. I do not crate him anymore when I go to work as he has shown enough responsibility for me not to. (He does sleep in his crate however.)

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

When it was just Paddy, he went to work with daddy every day.
    Whenever daddy had to be out of town for a few days, Pad would stay home and I'd come home at lunch to walk him in the park. But I only lived 2 miles away and loved doing it.

As the mob grew, the doggie door was a must and all dogs have always had access to outdoors whenever they wish. My (now 5 dogs) are home alone for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week while I'm at work. Full run of the house and outdoors, they are only checked for contraband cigars, marked playing cards, and telltale whiffs of beer on their breath when I get home. KIDDING!

Seamus and Flynn

zonapups is offline Senior Member

The answer? DOGGIE DOOR!

We got one installed the WEEK we got our pups. They are fully trained to use it. Hubby works from home most of the time and when he does travel it is usually on the weekends or in the evenings. During those times I make sure I'm home from work early on the evenings and then I work from home on the weekends. For now the pups can't be trusted for very long but I am sure when they get older it won't be a problem to leave them home alone with the doggie door. Right now during extended periods of time, we take them over to my mother in-laws house. She is a part-time professor so she is usually home for most of the day so we can be sure they get their "lunch" when they are supposed to. She gets plenty of time to play with her grand-pups and they also get a play date with her dogs to boot! Works out great!

Leo and Zoey - born 4/21/12. The loves of my life (other than the hubby)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast