Questions for a pet sitter

Thread: Questions for a pet sitter

my2labs is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestions for a pet sitter

We bring Mo home Friday evening and have the whole weekend to get him use to some kind of routine and to his big sister. With Abbey being 13 and Mo being 7 weeks, we thought we would hire a pet sitter to come over and spend some time with them once a day so they aren't sitting at home for 8 hours. They would get fed, get outside to potty, and have a bit of playtime once a day. The sitter we picked out is bonded and insured and does home consultations to meet with the owners and the pets before making plans to come everyday. What kind of questions should I ask her when she comes? She does have letters of recommendations so I want to look at those but anything else I should make sure to find out? This is a first time for us as when we had our other puppies, my husband worked 5 minutes from the house and came home at lunch but that isn't possible now. Thanks so much for your help.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Not sure about the questions but the puppy can't be left for 8 hours. He will need to be feed in the middle of the day and of course his bladder is tiny.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by nellies mom View Post
    Not sure about the questions but the puppy can't be left for 8 hours. He will need to be feed in the middle of the day and of course his bladder is tiny.
    I absolutely agree so it was either take him to doggy daycare or get a pet sitter. I would prefer a pet sitter since she can come and let both dogs out since I know Abbey could use a potty break as well.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

You could ask how long they have been a pet sitter.
    How many other homes a day do they sit
    How long do they stay at each home
    Any references?
    Do they have pets of their own
    Any Lab experience
    You may want to do a background check too

Don't forget to puppy proof your home too. And let us know how Abbey reacts to Mo.
    When I introduces puppy Kasa to our 12 YO Lab Heidi, Heidi was thrilled and went into a second puppyhood. 12 years later when I introduced puppy Mitzi to Kasa, Kasa was less then thrilled, but eventually accepted her. You never know how the older Lab will react.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Agree about the background check, being bonded/insured is great but this person will be in your home, have a key I assume, and be taking care of your fur babies.

Ask if they have experience with caring for more than one dog at a time, especially such a young puppy & an older dog.
    Will they be there at a specific time (to build a routine).
    What would they do in an emergency?
    How much time will they spend with your dogs?
    Do they bring other dogs with them... like group walks etc or will there just be a focus on your dogs?

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Good answers so far.

I'd say (true or not) "I will have hidden/nanny cameras set up through tout the house. Is that alright with you/Do you have a problem with that"? There are "fake" cameras out there that are cheap, just in case she needs/looks for proof.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    Good answers so far.

I'd say (true or not) "I will have hidden/nanny cameras set up through tout the house. Is that alright with you/Do you have a problem with that"? There are "fake" cameras out there that are cheap, just in case she needs/looks for proof.
    Ohhhh!! I like this one!! My first real concern would be... are you really walking & playing with my dogs, or are you sitting on my couch watching my tv? Or... did you actually come to my house at all??

deidra is offline Senior Member

Good advice so far! Something someone did with me when I had to go let their dog out,walk him ect.. was give me a time log so they knew I was at-least going there. Their neighbors also verified if I was there or not, if I actually walked the dog ect.. I really agree with the lab experience. I had to walk a Maltese and I had no real experience with the breed so I had to ask a million questions! I was also used to the bigger dogs so I don't care what people say it was weird going from big dogs, to a little dog.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Thank you so much. Great questions and advice. She has been doing this for 11 years and before that, was a nurse for an area hospital. She has 2 dogs currently as her own personal pets and has experience taking care of cats, dogs, ferrets, lizards, horses,and fish I am going to write all these questions down on paper now and ask her when she comes out Sunday morning. We actually do have a video camera set up right at the front door and my husband watches it constantly so we will know when she comes and when she leaves and if she keep consistent time. She lives 2 minutes from our house so that is nice. Thanks again.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12