How do you recalibrate a Lab?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you recalibrate a Lab?

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow do you recalibrate a Lab?

Jack and Buddy get Glyco flex treats every night around 8:15p. Jack starts reminding me around 8:10 with barks. One night I was up and about at 8p and gave them their treat at 8p. as a convenience to me. Now he and Buddy take turns reminding me at 7:48 it is time for their 8:15 treat. I have tried waiting until 8:30 to give them their treat but they bark cadence from 7:48 until they get their treat. I do I reset their clock?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

my2labs is offline Senior Member

Good luck with that. Been there, done that with mine too. When Cinder was still around, she was the mouth piece for Abbey. Abbey would sit at your feet at 7:00 and continuously stare at you with her big labby eyes. If that didn't work, she would stare at my husband until he felt so uncomfortable he would ask her what she wanted. When she got no where, she would wind her younger sister up and then Cinder would sit there and bark at you until you got up. They have a great clock and didn't know the difference between sleeping in on the weekends and getting up early during the week.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

georgie is offline Senior Member

I don't have an answer. My two will lay around all evening but about 15 minutes before it's time to eat, they both get up & come & sit in front of us & stare. If we happen to go 5 minutes past their supper time, the whining starts. How do they know it's time?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Laceezmom is offline Senior Member

Well they start out being hungry about a minute after they finish the meal before. It is amazing how reliable their inner clocks are. Stick to your guns - tell them to go out or go for a walk or somehow distract them until you get to 8:15. You can do it! Such goofs.

Shelley is offline Senior Member

I randomize feeding times so they don't drive me nuts when they thing they should be fed!

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    I randomize feeding times so they don't drive me nuts when they thing they should be fed!
    I agree, the only thing dependable about their feeding time is that it is undependable.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    Great idea!! I am going to start this. Bauer KNOWS when it is 6:00pm, and KNOWS that it is time for dinner. If I don't have his food down at 6, he brings his empty bowl to me. Yesterday morning I washed his bowl, and KNOW I left it on the counter (to avoid him bringing me the bowl because I had a conference call until 6:30pm). At 6pm he appeared in my office with the bowl in his mouth. He has never counter surfed, but he must have yesterday.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

joflake is offline Senior Member

This is funny. Labs are so goofy. We started feeding ours a little earlier in the evening since my hubby retired. And yes they do know when it's time to eat. But I think Willy is trying to push it and get fed even earlier. He will go and lay by his bowl when he wants fed. It seems like it gets earlier every day. He used to go slap the bowl with his paw and it's stainless so it made quite a racket. We had to make a frame for the bowl so he would quit. He used to go do it random times throughout the day, just like, hey, I'm hungry, feed me.

When Libby wants a treat, she will come sit in front of you and stare at you until you ask her what she wants. If you ignore her, she'll inch closer and closer, lay her head on your leg, or put her paw on your leg and then if you ask what she wants, she'll bark and go to the counter where the treats are. Then she does the look at you, look at the treats, look back at you, look at the treats. It's funny.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I guess we've got it pretty easy. Caleb will come and stare at us just before 6PM. If I'm on the computer, he'll poke my elbow. But that's it. If I don't get up to feed him, he lays down and waits. Of course, he plants himself where he can see me, and any move I make to stand up has him bolting to the his dish. Come fall, when we turn the clocks back, I wean him onto his new dinner time by feeding him around 5:30, then working towards 6 PM.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by joflake View Post
    He used to go do it random times throughout the day, just like, hey, I'm hungry, feed me.
    Bauer looks in his bowl multiple times per day. If he goes outside, as soon as he comes in he looks in his bowl. When we get back from a walk or run, he always goes in and looks in his bowl. I swear he thinks that food fairies may someday appear and leave something in his bowl . . . it hasn't happened yet, but if it does he will definitely be the first to notice. He always runs in the kitchen so excited too, and when the bowl is empty he turns and looks so dejected. Poor thing .
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast