Will they get used to her?
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Will they get used to her?

  1. #1
    deidra's Avatar
    deidra is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    strasburg,il
    Posts
    6,716

    DefaultWill they get used to her?

    My aunt moved in yesterday and the dogs just aren't to sure about it. She is sleeping in an extra building we have but when they see her they still bark. You can see her room from the bathroom, where there water bowl is. Every time they see her move in their, they bark, until I tell them to stop. Earlier she walked in the door and they started barking at her. Again I told them enough. They know her, but not that well. Should i keep telling them enough and soon they should catch on that she is okay? Also when we go outside Tank's hackles raise and he sniffs around the extra building she is staying in until I call him to me. Will that soon stop as well? I told her she should feed them in the morning and work with them so they get used to her.This is her exact words "they are not my dogs I am not doing anything with them." So I am on my own trying to get them used to her.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,869

    Default

    Her attitude doesn't help matters. Dogs know when people don't like them. It will take time, they will come around. How long is she going to be there?

  4. #3
    deidra's Avatar
    deidra is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    strasburg,il
    Posts
    6,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    Her attitude doesn't help matters. Dogs know when people don't like them. It will take time, they will come around. How long is she going to be there?
    The whole school year :/ I love my aunt to death but having to go to school with her and living with her is going to be annoying.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,869

    Default

    Oh right, sorry, I forgot how close in age you were! She will have to make an effort is it's going to be that long. Does she like dogs, will she do the fun stuff like play with them? It may be a long school year for you!!

  7. #5
    deidra's Avatar
    deidra is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    strasburg,il
    Posts
    6,716

    Default

    She likes, some dogs but mainly the fluffy small ones(like poms). She is okay with Bentley but she doesn't really like Tank. He drools like a ST.Bernard and I think that is the reason. He also likes to "push" so you pet him. I will ask her if she will play with the dogs a little so they get used to her. I would really like to make some progress by Friday since that is when school starts. But with how she is handling things, it may not go to far.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

  8. #6
    Garth is offline Registered Users
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deidra View Post
    I told her she should feed them in the morning and work with them so they get used to her.This is her exact words "they are not my dogs I am not doing anything with them." So I am on my own trying to get them used to her.
    And therein lies the problem. Dogs aren't stupid. They know when someone likes or dislikes them & will react accordingly.

    By contrast, I've just had a friend staying with me from NZ for the last 2 weeks. I haven't seen him for about 12 years so my current 2 have never met him before. From the minute he walked in the house, they were all over him wagging their tails & licking him. He took them for their morning walks & fed them when he thought I was being cruel because I wouldn't do it until I had finished watching whatever was on TV. As a result, they LOVED him. Buzz even sat on top of him when we were watching TV or a movie. Bear was always near his side too.

    Unfortunately it sounds like the dogs & her will never have that bond unless she changes. The barking will probably ease over time but I doubt they'll ever accept her fully.

  9. #7
    Samson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    21,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    And therein lies the problem. Dogs aren't stupid. They know when someone likes or dislikes them & will react accordingly.

    By contrast, I've just had a friend staying with me from NZ for the last 2 weeks. I haven't seen him for about 12 years so my current 2 have never met him before. From the minute he walked in the house, they were all over him wagging their tails & licking him. He took them for their morning walks & fed them when he thought I was being cruel because I wouldn't do it until I had finished watching whatever was on TV. As a result, they LOVED him. Buzz even sat on top of him when we were watching TV or a movie. Bear was always near his side too.

    Unfortunately it sounds like the dogs & her will never have that bond unless she changes. The barking will probably ease over time but I doubt they'll ever accept her fully.
    Poor old Buzz and Bear ! Bet they thought that they were being rescued properly !

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25