In need of advice about abused and now rescued black lab - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In need of advice about abused and now rescued black lab

Kori is offline Senior Member

Great replies and advice, I also have an abused resuce. Java was 5 when we rescued her, couldn't tell she was a lab, she looked like a Chow, I don't think she'd ever been brushed. Took her to the vet, she had the worst yeast infections in both ears our vet said he had ever seen, took us almost a month to get them cleared up. She also had a really bad UTI, got that cleared up but we keep her on cran caps. She adores my husband but if he picks up a broom, Java runs, hides, and cowers. Same thing with a flashlight or any loud noise. I got some advice from a great judge, she suggested when Java was doing something she liked, my hubby should pick up a broom, away from her then put it away, same with the flashlight. I'm not going to say we solved the problems completely but they are much better. We don't yell, but we do have gkids that can get noisy when they come over and at first Java would love on the gkids until they started getting noisy, then she'd hide. She's been with us over 3 years and everything has gotten so much better, it takes time but they are so worth it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I think a trainer is a good idea.

With Ernie it took time. He wouldn't relax or go near people. I closed off all the house except the dog room so there wasn't so much room for him to worry about things happening. After about a week or so he would sit with his back to the far wall so he could see anyone coming or going. I didn't pamper to him, but gently went about daily things. As he had never had treats it took time to get him to realise they were a good thing. Lots of praise and treats. One day I fell asleep on the sofa and woke up to find him sitting near me.

The vet I had at the time didn't believe in the soft approach and Erns would rear up on his hind legs ending up being sedated. Horrible. A trainer told me I would never be able to deal with him and I be hard on on him. I didn't want to break what little spirit he had so ignored it and went with my gut taking a more gentl approach. I gave myself a year, kept a journal with weekly goals.

He came right, but from time to time things trigger his fears and he will snap or shake. Hang in there it takes time and you have only had him a week. Good luck.
    Last edited by kassabella; 08-22-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I wonder if a Thunder shirt would help with his fears and insecurities?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mdearmon is offline Junior Member

So, we took Bo to the vet on Tuesday. This is the first time he's seen our vet. He gave him a clean bill of health, no heart works, no UTI (thanks for the advice on this, he said it was a good thing to check as well) and he also said that this was a case of submissive peeing and that he'd get over it with time and love. My 13 year old has already bonded with Bo and has taught him to fetch and to sit pretty dependably. Bo still cowers when I'm near, but he's taken to coming to me when I'm sitting down and letting me pet him. If I stand up, he bolts though. And if I'm trying to coax him outside, he's peeing. I'll just have to leave the taking him out and taking him to his crate to the other "less intimidating" folks in the family, I guess. Based on the feedback I've gotten here, I'm willing to invest the time to make him comfortable and I really hope and pray and am optimistic that he'll become a great part of the family.

bo.jpg

Kori is offline Senior Member

JMHO, you may not get past all his fears, but with time it will be so gratifying and you will have a great part of your family. Good luck and let us know how things are going.

Rukus&Dozer is offline Senior Member

Awwwww....he's SO handsome!!! Congrats!

Good luck with him. Remember that there are a ton of people here who have been/are dealing with the same thing...so feel free to ask any questions or just vent. He'll come around in time and you'll be left with a wonderful new member of the family.

He's GORGEOUS!!!
    Home of:

Forrest CGC- Lab 2001-2011
    Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-
    And 30-some Miniature Horses...

www.fieldofdreamsminihorses.com

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his leader, his love. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Unknown

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12