Bells and Bars

Thread: Bells and Bars

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

DefaultBells and Bars

BELLS
    Around a month or so ago I attached a small bell to Layla's collar so that when we are on walks people could hear us coming and so that people who don't like dogs will have the option of retreating away. I remember not liking dogs and thought that back then I would of loved it if dog owners did this. Well, it has worked pretty well. No one is ever startled by Layla and I walking by. A long time ago I also taught Layla to ring a bell on our back door when she needed to go out to do her business. ...Well, for several mornings Layla hasn't bothered to walk to the door to ring the bell. She shakes her head to ring the bell on her collar. The first ring is a polite ding ding. Layla then waits for a little bit and then BAAM, she rings them as loud as she can right next to either my ear or my wifes ear. I thought it was pretty cool that she made the jump to generalize the bell sound from the door bell to her collar bell.

BARS
    When Layla and I are on walks that aren't in the woods, we tend to walk the quiet neighborhoods where we come into contact with a few walkers and a few joggers depending on when we are out. Lately, I have been going down town for walks to get her more solid in crowds of people. She used to lurch forward from time to time wanting to say hi or if she didn't lurch and someone walked close enough she would turn her head and lick their hand. I didn't know how solid she was in big groups of people because I just don't walk into big groups of people regularly. Then, last week I walked by some bars. There is usually a group of people out there chatting it up and smoking. They are too into their thing to really notice us other than making a path for us to walk through sometimes. Sometimes they don't and we have to weave. I just thought it was pretty cool to find such an "odd' place to find regular crowds to work with your dog in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

my2labs is offline Senior Member

I have a friend who has bells on her back door that her dogs will ring when they want outside. I think it is pretty cool when they hit the bell with their paws. I also walk with my husband in our local park and have noticed more people putting bells on their dogs collar. Wish people would put them on their bikes instead of trying to run me over

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by my2labs View Post
    I have a friend who has bells on her back door that her dogs will ring when they want outside. I think it is pretty cool when they hit the bell with their paws. I also walk with my husband in our local park and have noticed more people putting bells on their dogs collar. Wish people would put them on their bikes instead of trying to run me over
    Yeah, I forgot about bikes. They startle me and Layla from time to time whizzing by us from behind. Mountain bikers tend to shout out a warning on trails. I don't think I have ever heard a road biker shout out a warning.