Is it risky to adopt a lab who has had pneumonia?

Thread: Is it risky to adopt a lab who has had pneumonia?

Jilian is offline Senior Member

DefaultIs it risky to adopt a lab who has had pneumonia?

We plan on adopting a dog from a lab rescue soon and one of the dogs I've been reading about online is 11 mos old and came to the rescue with pneumonia. I know lots of owners surrender wonderful dogs because they cannot afford medical bills. Would a previous case of pneumonia be a huge red flag? Would it put him at risk for future cases of pneumonia? He looks like a really great little pup.

We've also seen a few cases of dogs who have come to the rescue with heartworms and are finishing up their "quiet time". I have not done as much research as I need to on dog health issues but from what I've heard heart worms are really dangerous and scary. Would a dog who has undergone treatment of heartworms be safe to be around kids and a cat? Would he be at risk for future cases or any other associated issues?

I'm also curious if a dog with a previous medical history would qualify for pet insurance? We plan on getting pet insurance and keeping a $1,000 emergency fund along with a credit card as a backup.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

I don't have any answers to your questions, but I saw that boy with pneumonia on their site and he was a real cutie
    I think you would have to ask how bad the pneumonia was and did it do any lasting damage - I don't know how long he had it before he was treated.
    Hopefully someone on here will have some more info regarding dogs with heartworm history as well. I'm sure they'd be safe around kids and cat, but I don't know about future health problems - again, I think it depends on how bad the infection was. The rescue should be able to give you more info on particular dogs.
    Good luck

Jilian is offline Senior Member

I read a little more on heartworms and it sounds like they come from being bitten by a mosquito and are not contagious. They are expensive to get rid of though. It sounds like as long as you keep up with regular heartworm prevention that the risk of a dog being infected is low.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
    I read a little more on heartworms and it sounds like they come from being bitten by a mosquito and are not contagious. They are expensive to get rid of though. It sounds like as long as you keep up with regular heartworm prevention that the risk of a dog being infected is low.
    Yes, here in FL you really need to use the preventative year-round since we never really get rid of the mosquitos. I'm just not sure what the after-effects of heartworm infection are, or how much they vary case to case.