Random Puppy Fears

Thread: Random Puppy Fears

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRandom Puppy Fears

I find this curious so thought I would share, maybe you guys have thoughts on it.

Lily, one of my fosters, is estimated to be 7 or so months now. She had a rough go of things, ended up at a shelter with her sister and the day after they were sprung they came down with parvo. they fought back and survived, but upon return to foster home were frightened girls, fearly of everything. But, they bounced back very quickly and by the time she arrived here (with me) she was by no means a fearful pup. I'd even go so far to say she is mostly a confident pup these days. She explores things, is very curious as well.

But randomly she'll freak out over some random thing. the first time it was a toy. a toy that had been on the ground for a week. a toy that did not move when she freaked out. She went stiff and started at it. grumped and puffed at it. then jumped back, moved forward, barked at it. hackles up, then barking at it. Like it was something scary. I got her thru it made it a good thing and we moved on. Ok I threw it at her LOL but even with that we worked passed it. She did it once more, I forget over what. Then my friend who was dog sitting said she did the same thing over a bird feather on the ground, again, out of the blue. They put treats near it, made it a safe thing, a godo thing. But she worked herself into a tizzy and later on their hike she was making wiiiiide circles around birch trees. Tonight she did it over a kleenex moving in the wind. I was going to just keep walking but turned around and had the boys sniff it, then I touched it (eww I know) and while I did not force her or pull her to it, I made it "safe" and she eventually sniffed it then calmed down and we continued our walk.

Anyway, do these "fears" go away with time? Is it a puppy thing? Is it just peaks to her lack of socialization coming out? Like I said, overall she is curious and will go explore things and is pretty confident.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Could she be going through a "fear period"? How long have you been noticing this? I recall the bit about the toy she was weirding out about - that was a week or 2 ago, right?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Erns was 3.5 and maybe not the same fears. He would be good then suddenly go stiff and work himself into a frenzy. He would be up on the coffee table,racing along the sofa, with a wild fearful look in his eyes.
    I discovered many years later an adult and boys used to tease him. I think little things would bring back those memories and set him off. It took time with him and he is better. Over the years there have been a couple fo time something has triggered some memory as out of the blue he will growl and get into a tizzy.

He has been fine for a couple of years and did it yesterday when I was sitting on the floor sorting fabrics.
    Can pups become scared and have bad memories at 7 months?

A couple of things have Tessa crawling under bushes trembling.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

poor erns!

She did it the first time a week into her stay here. she's been here since around July 15 and it occurs (still) sporadically. every two weeks or so.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

It's hard to tell which fears are unfounded and which are from trama in the past. I believe some dogs are just sensitive and have phobias for no reason, just their personality. Others like my Duke, a very sensitive boy anyway, came with many phobias, most which I believe came from mistreatment. Only he can tell and he's not talking.

patm is offline Senior Member

Mine have done that - Emilu was like that - suddenly alarmed at something that had been there forever. Baxter still stands and looks out the back window and growls - at NOTHING! He does it almost everyday.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Tanya I was going through my journal when I got Erns.( It easier to see we were making progress). He was scared of everything in the house. Pots boiling, electric kettle boiling, phone ringing.He hadn't been inside so was all new.

Perhaps your pup hasn't heard or see these things either and a little scared. I shut him in one room with me, then as he felt better other parts of the house or yard. Then introduced him to other things and sounds.
    At first he wouldn't sit or lie down, then after a couple of weeks sat in a corner so he could see all of the room and the door. One day I went to sleep on the couch and woke up to him laying on the floor beside me.

Weird thing was he seemed confident. I think now it was bravado due to fear. I think it is a great idea to make things safe.

I am sure with you she will do well.It will be very intersting to see how she goes.
    Last edited by kassabella; 08-19-2012 at 07:23 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/