Agressive Chewing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agressive Chewing

HeatherM is offline Junior Member

DefaultAgressive Chewing

My 9 month old lab loves to chew and put every or anything in his mouth. I have two kongs plus a lot of rubber toys that he likes playing with but he has chewed through 4 fence posts our walls a couple months ago. I walk him daily and try to keep him active because a tired puppy is a happy dog. Anyone have advice or has experienced the same thing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

How is he chewing these things without anyone noticing?! If you are unable to supervise your puppy it would be best to keep him in a crate for his own safety. Intestinal obstructions are extremely dangerous not to mention very expensive.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

How many walks a day does he get? Any off leash running & playing? A crate would be best if he isn't supervised as Tammy said it can be a matter of safety.

For some Labs it takes more than just tiring them out, he could have separation anxiety. How long is left alone for? Make sure you don't make a big deal when leaving or coming home as that induces anxiety in most dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

walks are not exercise (unless they are offleash walks where they run around) for a young lab.

he needs to be crated when you are away, supervised more properly when you are home and not left outside unattended.

keep his mind tired by training daily or playing brain games (hide and seek, going to classes, etc.) and physically tired with plenty of physical exercise daily. make sure he has plenty of appropriate chew toys, but do not leave them out all teh time, keep 2 or 3 out, then hide the rest, and rotate. this way they keep their value.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

annieL is offline Junior Member

I would suggest keeping him in his crate ANYTIME you are not supervising him. Our dog has destroyed many things, but we've learned to take advantage of his crate when we're getting ready for work, showering, etc. and can't keep a close eye on him. We never leave him unsupervised in the yard either. Also, baby gates are very helpful to keep them confined to one room....we use ours ALL the time!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

an alternative to crating if you are in the house is to tether him (tie him) to you so he moves with you as you go about your business. Or baby gate him in teh same room as you are.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'm going to assume this fence post chewing was outdoors and he was not supervised. Was he out there for a long time? Sounds like he's bored to me.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

A puppy isn't born knowing what they are not allowed to chew. They don't know the difference between chewing a toy or the fence post. You must correct them when they are in the act of chewing something inappropriate. After you discover what he had chewed, it's too late to correct. As everyone has suggested, careful supervision is necessary until he learns what is off limits.

HeatherM is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    How is he chewing these things without anyone noticing?! If you are unable to supervise your puppy it would be best to keep him in a crate for his own safety. Intestinal obstructions are extremely dangerous not to mention very expensive.
    He's quick take your eyes of him for a second and poof it's gone. We do have a crate and he loves and sleep there every night.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    How many walks a day does he get? Any off leash running & playing? A crate would be best if he isn't supervised as Tammy said it can be a matter of safety.

For some Labs it takes more than just tiring them out, he could have separation anxiety. How long is left alone for? Make sure you don't make a big deal when leaving or coming home as that induces anxiety in most dogs.

One walk over a mile on leash. We do training daily about 4 hours and constant play thru out the day and goes to a dog park on the weekends. I'm home with him thru out the day and he even goes with us when were out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    walks are not exercise (unless they are offleash walks where they run around) for a young lab.

he needs to be crated when you are away, supervised more properly when you are home and not left outside unattended.

keep his mind tired by training daily or playing brain games (hide and seek, going to classes, etc.) and physically tired with plenty of physical exercise daily. make sure he has plenty of appropriate chew toys, but do not leave them out all teh time, keep 2 or 3 out, then hide the rest, and rotate. this way they keep their value.
    Doing all that. His walk ware him completely out. He's smart and knows how to get things he's not allowed to have. Its his idea of a game. It's Georgia he not outside for very long it takes only seconds to rip the fence up.

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom View Post
    A puppy isn't born knowing what they are not allowed to chew. They don't know the difference between chewing a toy or the fence post. You must correct them when they are in the act of chewing something inappropriate. After you discover what he had chewed, it's too late to correct. As everyone has suggested, careful supervision is necessary until he learns what is off limits.
    Agreed, it's a careful balance to discipline but not to abuse we are adamant to ensure he knows the difference from right and wrongful chewing when caught in the act.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    I'm going to assume this fence post chewing was outdoors and he was not supervised. Was he out there for a long time? Sounds like he's bored to me.
    Could be we do everything to challenge his mind. Always interested on new ideas to challenge our lab genius

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    an alternative to crating if you are in the house is to tether him (tie him) to you so he moves with you as you go about your business. Or baby gate him in teh same room as you are.
    He has one in the yard know, that is strategically placed to not allow access to the fence. Good idea! We have gate to also control his movements in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by annieL View Post
    I would suggest keeping him in his crate ANYTIME you are not supervising him. Our dog has destroyed many things, but we've learned to take advantage of his crate when we're getting ready for work, showering, etc. and can't keep a close eye on him. We never leave him unsupervised in the yard either. Also, baby gates are very helpful to keep them confined to one room....we use ours ALL the time!
    Agreed this works we are new lab parents and this is what we also had to figure out. Still is there anything to stimulate his mind to get this idea that everything doesn't belong in his mouth and in a million pieces. It's costly to replace and we need help or advice. Our eyes can only do but so much, and reprimanding negative behavior will take time and we believe it will be solved soon.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Kassa chewed wood and as you say happens in a few moments. It is so easy to run inside to grab the phone and pooof..out door chair leg chewed. For the indoor and outdoor furniture I put chillie powder around them.I didn't let her see me doing it and wasn't around when she went to take a bite then backed off. The more I kept her mentally active the better she was.

I taught her to get my slippers, find things like toys. I put a treat into a stuffy which made it a little easier at first. Did this with Erns and he loves it. Another one is which hand is the treat in. The have to sniff it so say sniff and tap my hand. Problem with all this they can sniff food a mile away and get into visitors bags. oops. lol.

I redirected if it was a negative behaviour and taught drop and leave. They soon get the idea.Each dog is different so work out what suits you and your dog and stick with that.

We still have baby gates for Ernie as he can't help himself and chews.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast