9 month old Chocolate Lab with no manners!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9 month old Chocolate Lab with no manners!

annieL is offline Junior Member

Default9 month old Chocolate Lab with no manners!

Our 9 month old chocolate lab, Dugan, is the sweetest dog around, however unless he is exhausted he is constantly grabbing anything and everything off of our counters & tables. Once he grabs something, he runs around the house and we have to chase him to get the item away from him. It is tiring and very frustrating! Does anyone have any tips? Thank you in advance!DUGAN 2.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

Don't chase him, lol. He loves that game. I am sure some others will have much better advice, but I wouldn't chase him. Put stupid stuff in reach, spray with bitter apple and he will think twice. Did that to a Great Dane years ago, per our breeder. It worked. Till Thanksgiving and the turkey was just too tempting. I did chase for the turkey though (shhhhh, I just rinsed it off and feed it to the ex and in laws anyway...kids and I ate ham....

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Wow he's got some long legs to keep you busy!

Keep him tired - a tired Lab is a good Lab.

Get stuff out of his reach.

Teach "leave it" and "drop it"

Chasing him makes it a game, use commands.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

stop chasing - he has created a fun game he likes to play and you guys are playing along You can find a toy or high value treat (something he loves) and play with it, make a big deal of it til he comes to you and reward. If he is particularly bad you may need to leave a leash on him to drag when you are there to supervise to help grab him if he won't get close enough.

Make sure he gets plenty of physical AND mental exercise. If he is stealing things from counter tops you can try the can monster (though if your dog can be timid I wouldn't do this as it can scare a sensitive dog).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

You got great advice above, I just wanted to say I have never seen such long legs on a Lab!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

First, I was looking at the picture, you have a handsome boy! But...look at that cord!!! Do you realize how dangerous that is? You need to puppy proof your house just like you would for a human baby. Please, put cords away and out of reach.....We finally broke Sophie of counter surfing. When she was first big enough to reach the top of the counter, we kept everything out of her reach. She stole many loaves of bread before we finally thought it would be easier to just put in waaaay back away from her. You need to teach drop it. The other day Sophie nabbed my niece's Barbie doll and took off running like a bullit in the back yard. I yelled "drop it" and she did immediatley! Good girl! If you chase him, he thinks that a really fun game. So don't chase him. I read on here about someone who tied pots and pans to irresistable things on the counter and left as bait. When the dog grabbed the item, the pans crashed to the floor. I read that a couple of times of this and the dog stopped the surfing! Good luck!
    Last edited by Sophiesmama; 08-17-2012 at 05:00 AM.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

dogfur is offline Member

Our breeder told us to always make the dog come to you. Never chase it or they will run away with things instead of giving them to you.

justine is offline Senior Member

I would suggest taking him to an obedience class which will help stimulate him mentally as well as physically. When Abbey was younger, I absolutely had to exercise her by playing with her and walking her, but I also had to work on her training, too.

dweck is offline Senior Member

What nine-month-old Lab HAS good manners??

LOL

Teach your dog what you want her to do. She will never know on her own unless you train her. If she's getting into things and running around the house, you may want to leash her while she's inside, so that if she takes off pell-mell, you can STOMP on the leash and re-gain control.

But yes, she should be getting plenty of exercise at this age, which will help keep her out of trouble.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Pam brought up a very important item -- that cord is awfully dangerous for a puppy, it looks very tempting for a curious Lab, as well he could just easily trip over it with those long legs & cause an accident.

I ended up re-arranging my entire living room to suit Diesel when I brought him home as I had some cords for lamps out that I ended up moving the couch in front of the outlets to hide the cords. I took everything off bookshelves, table tops, and counters that he could reach... luckily he has made it to 2 1/2 years old and has never been a counter or even a table top surfer ( *knocks wood* ).

I can leave a plate of pizza on the coffee table, say "LEAVE IT" and go get a soda, come back & nothing changed other than a new puddle of drool on the floor Though I never leave stuff out when I am gone for more than a few seconds, he is a Lab after all!

The can monster idea is great if it becomes necessary, but as Tanya said it could create a fear imprint that you may regret.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast