She doesn't bark
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: She doesn't bark

sofieann is offline Member

DefaultShe doesn't bark

My Sofie rarely barks. Once in a while she will bark when she is in the back yard and other dogs are barking, or if my neighbor comes out. We have a privacy fence, so she can't see the neighbor, just hears her. She NEVER barks when someone comes to the door. She just heads that way all wiggles, being happy someone is coming to see her. How do I get her to bark when someone comes to the door? I want her to bark when someone comes to the door, I want to control her when they come in, which I "try" and do. She, like most labs, loves people. She won't bark when she is ready to come in after going outside either. Really, this dog rarely barks. I realize this is probably a reverse problem. I've had her about 3 months now, she is a rescue. She's just over a year old.
    Thanks!
    In memory of Morgan Marie. January 1996 to August 2009

This is Sofie Ann

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Our Sophie never barks when people come to the door either. She thinks they are here to see her and pet her! She will bark at the window when a cat or another dogs walks down the street. Otherwise, she's not a barker either. Sophie wouldn't bark at the door to go out either. We started making her speak to go out. She doesn't usually bark to come in, she will kind of make a whiney sound. It is the same sound she makes when she wants out during the night. She'll get right up next to my face and make that sound.... so cute!
    Last edited by Sophiesmama; 08-16-2012 at 01:23 AM.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Ashli318 is offline Junior Member

I guess Sofie/Sophie is a popular dog name! I have a rescue as well,Sofia, who is around 10 months and she doesnt bark a lot either. She kind of growls/whines instead. She will bark occasionally but not as much as my other lab mix. Rescues take time..Maybe try to get her to "speak" and reward her with treats when she makes any noise. Praise her anytime she does..That might make her see that it is okay for her to bark at certain times..She may have been abused for barking and now is scared. You never know their complete background. My Sofie HATES spraying water from any source. Hose,sprinklers,fountains..Anything! She gets VERY scared tries to get away. I assume she was sprayed as punishment by her previous owners.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

None of the Labs I have had or been around were barkers. I think I have heard Maxx bark 6-7 times in the year I have had him!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Count your blessings!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

dogfur is offline Member

My dog hated the hose and sprinklers and she wasn't punished. She didn't like the river or sea much either.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

You are one of the lucky ones! Considering she is a rescue and you don't know her background, I wouldn't try to encourage the barking.

Is it really necessary for you to have a dog that barks for specific things? Why do you want her to bark when someone is at the door? Seems she already signals you by her full body wag towards the door. Once the door is opened whether she barked while it was closed or not, she will no doubt go into a full body wag so the bark won't deter anyone if that was your wish. Everyone knows that Labs are not the best guard dogs, lol.

What does she currently do when she is ready to come inside? If she didn't start out with you as a barker, maybe that is just her "signature" and instead of encouraging her to change the way she chooses to communicate, why don't you just embrace it?

bigbrownsmom is offline Senior Member

My Sadie is a rescue and I've had her for about 4 years now. I can count easily in two hands the times I have heard her bark, one bark each. For awhile I thought something had happened to her that she couldn't bark. But no, she just chooses not to.

sofieann is offline Member

I know I'm lucky she is not a barker. My neighbor has Dashounds and they bark all the time, in fact if she does bark, that is who she is barking at. The only reason I want her to bark when someone comes to the door is because we have so many solicitors, I would hope maybe her bark would scare them away. If I do open the door, she does her whole body wiggle (which is adorable by the way) and thinks they are here to see her. I know Labs are not good guard dogs, they love everyone. My other lab, Morgan, once got out and ran toward the mailman. He froze thinking she was going to bite him, but she just jumped up and licked him instead! LOL I guess that's a lab for ya.
    Well, thanks all, I will maybe try to get her to speak, I've tried a couple times, saying "speak" and then bark at her and she thinks I'm nuts. I know I've only had her for three months, but she fits in so well, it seems like I've always had her. I will be more patient and just love her.
    Last edited by sofieann; 08-16-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    In memory of Morgan Marie. January 1996 to August 2009

This is Sofie Ann

justine is offline Senior Member

Abbey is a loud mouth, she barks at most things, but usually only once, almost as a warning bark. Kolby rarely barks, he is growly when he plays and does high pitched noises if he's really excited, but his barks are few and far between. When he barks, it's usually at night when he hears a loud noise and it is so low and deep that it will wake me up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast