Puppy Paw Size???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Paw Size???

zonapups is offline Senior Member

QuestionPuppy Paw Size???

So the pups have turned 16 weeks, are up to date on all their shots and other than previously noted tummy issues are otherwise in good health.

After giving it a few days we made another play date with our friend Maricon and her 6 month old pup Jackie. Jackie gets along great with our pups so it was a no brainer to invite her when we were ready to take the pups to the doggy park. The whole experience was a bit overwhelming at first but once all the other dogs settled down our two were happily running a mock in the chaos.

Just then Maricon went to greet what she thought was my boy Leo coming towards her except it wasn't Leo. Another person brought her Lab puppy Sammy to the park. Turns out Sammy was born on the same day as ours except he was from a different litter. HE WAS SOOO CUTE!

Leo and Sammy were about the same size except Sammy was a bit pudgier than Leo and had the HUGGIEST PAWS I ever seen. She claimed he was purebreed and his parents were normal size. I was alarmed she didn't know his weight as he would have had to have his 16 week check up recently for shots and such. Maybe her husband was the one taking him to the vet, who knows.

Man...I just can't get past his paws. Seriously! They were HUGE!

Leo's paws were soooo tiny compared to his. His paws seem about right for his size to me but everyone says Leo has good size paws for a pup his size and that he is going to be normal size. I just don't see big paws in my pup.

So my question is how much truth is there on puppy paw size? Is there any truth to the matter because I'm starting to doubt the vet's claim that Leo will probably be a good 80 or so pounds full grown. His dad was about 80 lbs and mom 70 lbs which is what the vet was basing her estimate off of but if his paws are any indicator I'm thinking he is going to be on the small side of that. Not like it's a bad thing or anything. At least he will be under the max weight for our alarm system motion sensor.

Leo and Zoey - born 4/21/12. The loves of my life (other than the hubby)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Diesel had huge paws and he turned out to be on the small side. I think it's about as accurate as thinking a certain part of a man's anatomy can be determined by the size of one of his other parts.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    Diesel had huge paws and he turned out to be on the small side. I think it's about as accurate as thinking a certain part of a man's anatomy can be determined by the size of one of his other parts.
    Did you really just write that??!! I am laughing so hard, great comparison!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    Did you really just write that??!! I am laughing so hard, great comparison!
    I tried to choose my words carefully, lol.

smokey is offline Senior Member

Ha! I'm laughing, too!! My Smoke has humongous paws that make him adorably clumsy! He is on the small side though at 15 weeks he is 35 pounds and from what I've read others say that their pups weighed at that age he isn't as big, he is tall and lean right now, though. His parents are both hunting dogs and even at 90 pounds his dad looked lean in photos, his mom is petite and 65 pounds, I expect him to fall between there somewhere. I have gotten the "he is going to be huge-look at those paws" but only time will tell.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

Laceezmom is offline Senior Member

My two year old has big paws and is moderate in size - about 65 pounds. Her three year old cousin is visiting at the moment and is the same size but has smaller feet. I like the big feet. When she was much younger someone said her paws looked like frying pans.

zonapups is offline Senior Member

Thanks! I needed a nice hard laugh today!

Leo and Zoey - born 4/21/12. The loves of my life (other than the hubby)

D Bros. is offline Senior Member

Thank you. I was getting a bit worried.

As for paw size, I'm not sure. Deacon had pretty big paws, and he grew into them, running about 85 to 95 pounds most of his life. Diesel, on the other hand, didn't really have huge paws as a puppy. His parents weighed about 75 for the dad, and 65 for the mom. He now outweighs them both, at about 87. I just figure pups will get as big as they get.
    My Lab is smarter than your honor student.

Deacon 12/1/1999-4/2/2012 RIP, bestest boy.
    Diesel 3/29/2010 My little hard charger.

Quote Originally Posted by D Bros. View Post
    Thank you. I was getting a bit worried.
    Well, you know, we have a 12 year old on the board now so I figured I would watch what I say. No guarantees how long the censorship will last though.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

No correlation with the paw size. I've had pups with HUGE paws...and as adults, I swear their paws never changed sized from when they were pups.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast