Today's lesson for Journey and Flint.

Thread: Today's lesson for Journey and Flint.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultToday's lesson for Journey and Flint.

DO NOT stick your whole face down a huge ground bee nest.......

They had been sniffing turds (which I appreciate, 'cause they are pointing out turds I have missed....on the 4 acre pasture). But this sniff I noticed about 30 bees swarming. The pups started running, and I after them. Each time I triedto pick the burrowing bee off it stung either me or the dog. So I broke off a pine branch and tried to pry them out of the fur.....which just pissed them off more, and land elsewhere in the pups. Both Journey and Flint bit the bees and got stung in the mouth.

All this happened within the 5 minutes before I had to go back to work at the kennel. Fortunately, I could take them with me to make sure they did not have a bad reaction to the bites. Which they did not, but I think Flint played it up a bit and just looked extra pitiful.

Needlessto say, I sprayed one can of Raid into the hole before I left for work, and another into a nearby hole when I returned. Personally, I see little value to ground bees (little black and yellow suckers). I usually expect them in Sept and Oct. Bastards!!!!!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tismom is offline Senior Member

I'm glad the pups and you are fine. That must have been a very scary 5 minutes.

Titan--Chocolate 4/15/01
    Moses--Yellow 10/12/09

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Stupid Bees! My son had his rabbit on our back deck in his hutch and we heard the rabbit making noises and went to check. Bees were swarming poor Mario and he was in distress. He was seizing. We rushed him to the vet. The vet tried everything to save him. We finally had to let her put him down. It broke my son's heart! The vet said she was not prepared for a huge football player type guy spending his whole paycheck to save his little bunny. That's just who we are and how he was raised. Mario was a very special rabbit who thought he was a cat, and played like a cat. I don't know what set those bees off and why they attacked him. It was awful. Watch your pups closely for any reaction.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

How scary! I was walking in the woods with Ozzy years ago and we stumbled upon a yellow jacket nest. We both got stung multiple times, thank goodness we were right behind the house because I barely made it inside to my epi-pen. I am terrified of bees and Ozzy flinched everytime something buzzed past him after that day. I am so glad Journey and Flint are ok. I agree, they are bastards!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I am glad you & the pups are okay. Kate was sniffing around Dave's canoe that was way down in the back yard & stirred up a big bee's nest. She was bit multiple times, by multiple bees, on her face & her poor face swelled up like a watermelon. Dave rushed her to the vet for medication. That was scary. I hate buzzing, flying things!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

That sounds like what we had in the yard the year we got Buddy. He got stung a few times and he's been afraid of that part of the yard ever since. I, too, used a whole can of bee and wasp killer on the area to make sure those suckers were all dead.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Holy crap! Glad you all are ok!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Those bees are nasaty, especially when you mow over or around them. All of mother nature is about a month early this year because of the unusual weather pattern. Glad you are OK.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

OUCH!!