Getting ready for vacation on the lake

Thread: Getting ready for vacation on the lake

lovin4dml is offline Junior Member

WinkGetting ready for vacation on the lake

Seeing as though we have not had either of our dogs for a summer yet, I'm curious. In a few weeks we will be packing my whole family and the dogs into my car and driving to the lake for a week. We will be sharing a cottage with my in-laws and my husbands brothers family, and my mother-in-law's yappy little dog. A few thoughts I have questions on. The little dog does not like Jack, 8 pounds vs 75. You even say Jack and her dog gets mad, he starts acting like a bull. Not sure how to handle all of them in one cottage of 1100 feet, let alone 8 people and the dogs for just over a week. Any suggestions on taking my dogs on the lake? Molly is working on voice training, but she is a puppy and they will be totally out of their element with other people and dogs around. Should we leash them in the water? Are they safe to go out on the pontoon? Jack I can't handle he is my husbands dog and usually ignores me. Jack is voice train and usually does not require a leash with him. I do not know what to expect. Molly will climb into a bucket to play in the water and climbs into my sons bath all the time. Jack just gives me a pathetic look like i'm not going to make a fool out of myself like that. The water is right out the front door of the cottage. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jack 8/2010
    Molly 11/2011

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Sorry, no suggestions as I have yet to get mine out on the lake.

Just wanted to comment on your ridiculously adorable siggy pic!! Oh my stars they are just too cute!!!

Thanks! They are inseperable now. One cries the other is right there to check!

Jack 8/2010
    Molly 11/2011

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

I would keep them on a leash unless you are at-least 90% confident in there recall. Still for the first few days keep them on a leash to explore and get used to their surroundings. While on the pontoon I would keep them leashed because if they are like my dogs they would jump off the side to get into the water. With the little dog is it possible to keep them separated at all times? Or at-least most of the time? because if they get into a fight and your dog kills the other dog YOU will get blamed. So if they are going to be around each other they need to be on a leash.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

The little one thinks he is the king and is spoiled. Mine are not agressive and just ignore him. We joke that all Jack has to do is sit on him. Good Point on the leash them on the boat, Molly would very likely jump off, wouldn't have thought of that. There is not really a way to keep them apart as they are all going to be in the same home for a week. Her dog is never confined and yaps non stop when he doesnt get his way. Last year before we got our dogs, I was playing with my son son tickling him and such and her dog bit me for playing with my kid.

Jack 8/2010
    Molly 11/2011

Titan is offline Junior Member

They are so cute!!!
    Amy

Titan-12/21/2007
    Rocket-1/11/2009