The spoiled rotten dogs... well spoiled rotten Collie, the Labs earn it LOL

Thread: The spoiled rotten dogs... well spoiled rotten Collie, the Labs earn it LOL

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe spoiled rotten dogs... well spoiled rotten Collie, the Labs earn it LOL

Homer and Misha love their food. It takes Homer about 1 minute to finish his bowl and Misha around 2 minutes, its great because I´m always running late in the mornings.

Mr. spoiled rotten Vermont on the other hand... he usually eats fine during 3 days, then he refuses to eat at all for the fourth day. And he takes forever to finish his bowl (10 minutes at least).

He got sick about a month ago and wouldn´t eat, so he lost weight... So now what does Mr. spoiled does...

I leave him in a room by his own with his bowl (otherwise "Piranha Homer" will eat his food in 10 seconds). I go back 10 mins later to find out he didn´t touch his food. I grab one kibble, open his mouth and stick in there... then another one... and another...

Then he starts eating directly from his bowl, but I have to hold it because he´s "too tired" to get up and eat, so he´s just laying down munching it while "slave" Dad holds the dish for him... Sheeesh Dog!... If I leave the bowl he won´t touch it. He won´t eat during 2 days, til the third day when he´s starving.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

What is it with Collies? My Mom has a Collie who is exactly like that. She might like one dog food for a few days, then doesn't want it anymore. So they try something else.

Plus they also have her full brother, so they can't just leave the food or HE hoovers it up!
    Home of:

Forrest CGC- Lab 2001-2011
    Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-
    And 30-some Miniature Horses...

www.fieldofdreamsminihorses.com

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his leader, his love. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Unknown

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Hmmmm! I have a 14 year old Border Collie who can be the same way! I wonder if it is just coincidence (with your Collie and mine), or if this eating style is a "Collie thing"? Although my B/C is 14 years old, he has always been this way with food so I do not believe it is age related.

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Emma is Border Collie/Lab mix and eats the same way. It must be a "Collie thing", she definitely does not eat like any Lab I have had or currently have. Maxx steals a mouthful of her food every chance he gets!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Wow now that is really surprising. So it looks like it is indeed a Collie thing. Well if we make a contest, I´d rather deal with Homer´s ultra fast eating behavior because at least I´m not arriving late at work LOL.

I don´t change his food. I decided to not enter into that game. I have only changed his food from Royal Canin (what breeder was feeding) to Proplan, and then I changed it to Proplan Salmon because he wasn´t tolerating the chicken formula very well.

I don´t even get mad anymore (I admit he made me loose my patience in the beggining). Now I just don´t care, I play his game of feeding the "baby" and if he doesn´t want to eat it, I just take the bowl and try again at night).

My Labs on the hand, always eat like its the last dinner in their lives.