Why my dog is skinny..I am scared about his health..HELP plzz
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why my dog is skinny..I am scared about his health..HELP plzz

hajrashibasish is offline Junior Member

AngryWhy my dog is skinny..I am scared about his health..HELP plzz

I have adopted my lab 8 months back.He is now 9 months completed.
    He is very energetic and playful.Always do some activity.But very well behaved. He don't have any problem in taking any food .He loves to eat.
    He sometimes take table food from us while we are dining.

But he is only 44 lbs..and very lean and not big enough like other labs of his age. His ribs and hip bones can be visible sometimes when he

lean and bend forward down to take his food.His head is not also grown that much like others.
    He is de wormed as per schedule and vaccinated properly.

Below find his details..

Breed: Labrador
    Neutered: No
    Weight: 44 lbs
    Hide detail
    Vaccination History: all done as per my vet
    Fed On: Three times.. Morning 8 o clock -- dry food(pedigree) 1 cup noon 12-- rice,vegetables,chicken all mixed up and boiled(1 bowl) evening 8 o clock--same as noon
    Kept: he stays in a apartment.But getting morning and evening wqalk for 1 hour.

But recently my vet tested a stool sample and told he has got tape worm..And gave tablet CANTEL (Praziquantel ‚ Pyrantel Embonate and Oxantel Embonate).

20120803-2 tabs (already given)
    20120809-2 tabs (already given)
    20120823-2 tabs

Will he be ok with this....
    I am very much worried about his health.

1>Is worm is the only problem or there is problem with his breed standard
    2>is he a cross breed? (his tail structure is very confusing..but i got it from a reputed breeder with all papers and microchip.I had seen his father also he is very huge lab)
    3>He has tested all other blood test like blood suger,uria,creatinin,thyroid, SGPT,SGOT.Every thing is normal as per the test result.

Please suggest
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

From your pictures, personally, I don't think he looks underweight. He looks like an average lab for that age. My initial thought, if his father was from a bench or show bred line, then yes, your pup will look thin as the show or bench bred tend to have a heavier stockier build.

Your boy looks to be a field bred, which tend to be thinner and leaner.

It seems like he is getting plenty of food & exercise. I am sure others with more knowledge than me will chime in with their thoughts.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

To give you an idea. I have a 10 year old and he is 27 kilos. Think this is about 58lbs. Ernie is a standard size Lab and perfect weight for him. Your dog will grow and fill out and put on weight.

He is adorable and I think looks fine.
    Last edited by kassabella; 08-09-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

You don't mention the amount of actual dog food you are feeding, that would help some! Pedigree is not a very good quality of food, if you can afford to feed a better quality I would suggest you do some research and find one that works for your dog. I think your dog looks just a bit "too thin", as others have said he appears field bred and they are leaner, taller labs but he just looks like he could use a few pounds, JMO. I would be worried about the diet of your dog though - is it balanced for him? Feeding the proper amount of a good quality kibble that meets all dietary needs is much better than supplementing with 2 bowls of chicken, rice and vegtables. I do add green beans and broiled chicken to the kibble when I feed mine at dinner time but the chicken amount is small, the green bean amount is mostly to increase the volume of food without adding a large additional amount of calories.

ETA - I can see his ribs in the last picture, I believe. You should be able to easily feel the ribs but definitely not see the ribs. I would rather see a lean lab than a fat lab but your dog just appears to be too lean, again this is just my opinion. **Dogs really don't need table food, it is a bad habit you will live to regret! **
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 08-09-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

justine is offline Senior Member

I don't know where you are located, but I would suggest giving him dog food and only dog food. You might have better luck with a higher quality food that has higher protein and higher fat. I have to feed Abbey (yellow Lab mix) a "performance" food because she is very high energy and does a lot of activity, so it is hard to keep weight on her.

Mike Richards is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    You don't mention the amount of actual dog food you are feeding, that would help some! Pedigree is not a very good quality of food, if you can afford to feed a better quality I would suggest you do some research and find one that works for your dog. I think your dog looks just a bit "too thin", as others have said he appears field bred and they are leaner, taller labs but he just looks like he could use a few pounds, JMO. I would be worried about the diet of your dog though - is it balanced for him? Feeding the proper amount of a good quality kibble that meets all dietary needs is much better than supplementing with 2 bowls of chicken, rice and vegtables. I do add green beans and broiled chicken to the kibble when I feed mine at dinner time but the chicken amount is small, the green bean amount is mostly to increase the volume of food without adding a large additional amount of calories.
    I agree with this...

Quote Originally Posted by hajrashibasish View Post

He sometimes take table food from us while we are dining.

This is not so good, Dogs are Dogs not Humans, if you feed table scraps they may contain things like onion or garlic which can kill you Dog causing Kidney and liver damage...

Foods You Should Not Feed Your Dog
    Ozzy Born 19th March 2012

Axel Born 19th Aug 2009

Never moon a werewolf....

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

Tapeworm will make a dog skinny. I also think he needs a better quality dog food. I have a dog that is high energy we feed him a performance food that has higher protien and fat content.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

If I read right, you adopted your lab when he was 1 month old?

I agree with th others that a better kibble would benefit your dog. If you do your own home cooking for your dog, you should be very well well versed in a dog's nutritional needs.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

justine is offline Senior Member

There are a lot of options for food for your dog, but if he has no issues eating, stick with a well known quality kibble. I don't know where you are, but I could suggest a couple of foods that might be available where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    If I read right, you adopted your lab when he was 1 month old?

I agree with th others that a better kibble would benefit your dog. If you do your own home cooking for your dog, you should be very well well versed in a dog's nutritional needs.
    You're right, Karen. I jumped over that 1 month adoption! Eeks!

patm is offline Senior Member

I think that he still has alot of growing to do - he looks like he is in the "lanky stage" and will fill out some as he gets older. He also looks like he is going to be fairly tall, and if he is field bred, won't look as heavy. It might take up to 2 years for him to "fill out"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast