Rain phobic Labs - Got one?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rain phobic Labs - Got one?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRain phobic Labs - Got one?

I do. Blaise would NOT step outside the whole day yesterday because it either looked like rain or was actually raining. So - at 1am he is pestering me so I got up and let him out. He still hovered around the patio, not wanting to get his feet wet! I had to go stand out on the patio and order him to go pee and it still took him about 10 minutes to decide to venture out there.

Literally peed for 5 minutes straight. I don't know how he can hold it that long - must have been 15 hours since he peed prior.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

YES! Bauer has a little rain avoidance protocol that he follows. I put him out to potty, and he goes to the far side of the porch and waits a few minutes. When he thinks he has waiting long enough he asks to come back in. He is completely dry so I tell him to get off the porch, he gets off the porch and walks under the little overhang into the garage . . .

I have given up and let him hold it unless I have to go somewhere, then I have to put him on a leash and drag him out the yard and make him go.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Dio is like that too. I make him go though, cuz I do not want to clean a Dio sized pee puddle simply because it was raining.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

He actually tiptoed along the property line next to the fence last night (maybe the ground is dryer there?) to head out to pee. I did try to get him out several times during the day - Diesel would run out and pee - Blaise would step onto the deck and turn immediately around and head right back inside. He is a fragile flower!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

joflake is offline Senior Member

Libby hates the thunder. She knows if it's raining, there might be thunder, so she won't go out either. Yesterday was terrible. She peed mid-morning between storms and that was the last she was out until this morning at five AM when I got up to exercise. She hadn't pooped since the day before. She will not go out in that weather. I don't know how she holds it either, it can't be good for her system, but even cheese wouldn't get her out there.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Diesel as well, he HATES his face getting wet the most, but he will also tip-toe around big puddles instead of ploughing through them. Problem is he has never been an our own yard pottier, even when we had the big fenced in yard. I always have to take him for walks, so I figure if I have to get soaked he can deal with rain dripping on his face! He spends the entire walk pawing at his snout or swimming his face in the grass to get the droplets off even though he just soaks himself more!

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

That is funny. Out of 4 Labs I´ve had, none of them have given a dime about it raining. they don´t care, they go out, do their business, and either come back or worse, stay out in the rain...

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Oh lord, I thought my Lexi was the only Labrador who hated the rain! She is not a fan of thunder either, so last night was a real challenge.

If it is just rain, she is not too bad, but she is funny. I'll put her out & she'll do the same thing, walk to the far side of the porch or into the car port, spend a few minutes & ask to come back in. I don't fall for it because she is not wet, so I know she never left the covered area.

I have to stand on the porch, tell her to go pee & watch her. Her favorite trick is to leave the porch, go down the side walk to the back corner of the house. She'll walk up along the house under the cover of the rain gutters. She'll do a quick pee & come back.

The lengths they will go to avoid getting wet... & people say dogs are not smart.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Kori is offline Senior Member

Ha ha ha! It's so good to know Java is not the only Lab who hates the rain, she will hold it until she just can't anymore. I can almost hear her yelling "O no! My fur is getting wet!" Joe on the other hand doesn't care, he has to go he does. The sprinklers came on this morning in the middle of him pooping, he just blinked his eyes and finished.

my2labs is offline Senior Member

As soon as Abbey hears the rain on the skylight, there is nothing you can do to get her outside. She hates being wet . Glad I am not the only one with a lab like this.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast