Old and tired /ACL. Has this happen to others?

Thread: Old and tired /ACL. Has this happen to others?

Kobelou is offline Junior Member

DefaultOld and tired /ACL. Has this happen to others?

Hello, i have an 8 year old lab named Kobe. He had ACL repair 3years ago on his left leg. His weight has alway been an issue and was recently put on a daily thyroid pill to help his weight loss. He has taken off a lot of weight to avoid putting any additional stress on either of his knees. He is on a daily supplement for joints. Lately when we play catch and run, he gets out of breath quicker and it's a little harder for him to get up after. He is limping a little more often and is Little slower than normal around the house. (but once he gets going he is good) My question is for those of you out there with senior dogs that have had ACL.. What should I expect to happen with an ACL I have babied it for 3 years and don't want to push it because I am afraid the other leg will possibly go. What are some good things that have worked for you. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kimmers is offline Senior Member

What kind of joint supplement is he on? Have you tried Recovery SA?
    Kona just had her 2nd TPLO (ACL repair) surgery less than a week ago and she is 7 1/2. Aside from moderate osteoarthritis in both knees (she had TPLO surgery on the other knee almost 2 years ago), he expects her to heal well.
    If your Kobe has already blown one ACL there is a 75% chance the other one may eventually go. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot we can do to prevent this - it could happen by Kobe simply stepping on a pebble wrong.
    3 years after surgery (unless the healing wasn't good) Kobe should be good on the repaired knee. The other knee may be causing him some pain (hence the limping) and he may be developing arthritis. My advice would be to get him checked out by your vet.

Kim & Crew

Beautiful BC, Canada
    JL Member since July 1, 2002

Fear Nothing. Live for Everything.

Kobelou is offline Junior Member

Hello.
    Thanks for the reply. He is on gluc and an arthritis supplement. It has helped him out a lot during his recovery. The vet did speak about the chance of injury to the other leg. I just wanted to see how common it actually was. I am going to make a follow up appt soon if the limping continues. It's not an all day occurrence. It's just getting up and after activity. So I've been limiting high impact activity to *softer and friendly types that are better for him. I am also going to look into swimming in the next few days.
    Thanks again,
    Martine & Kobe