mischevious lab
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mischevious lab

scutter is offline Senior Member

Defaultmischevious lab

somewhat of a long post sorry. This is my third lab and my second lab puppy who is now 8 1/2 months old. She has been the most destructive lab I have had. She has torn siding off of the garage 3 times, chews up things, digs etc. I know that many will post a response about me not spending enough time with her etc. Here is the scenario, She stays out in a fenced in yard with my other lab during the day. They have access to a heated space with plenty of water. I provide plenty of play things. I play with her in the evening and then bring her and both dogs in the house in the evening. She is not too bad when she is with the other dog but if I take my other dog hunting and leave her by herself then she becomes very destructive. I do have a smaller fenced in kennel area (6'x20') within the fenced in back yard that I can and put her in and sometimes put her in that. There is a dog house in that area but when cold weather comes, she would not have access to the heat in that kennel area.

My question is this, at what age will she grow out of this and are there some things I can do to prevent the destructive behavior.

I know labs are high energy dogs and my 8 year old male is a very energetic lab and I never had any of these kinds of problems with him when he was a puppy

Thanks

Scutter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I think you need to get into training her for hunting, so that she can go with you. I think dog number 2 is jealous that she is not getting to go.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

1. more exercise will tire her out so she will not be bored and looking for things to do
    2. bring them in the house, crate them when you are not home
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Seamus Lab is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by amazongold View Post
    1. more exercise will tire her out so she will not be bored and looking for things to do
    2. bring them in the house, crate them when you are not home
    Agree.

Sounds like a typical puppy who is unsupervised. Could be some separation anxiety as well. I have a 1.5yo lab mix who cannot be left alone anywhere for any length of time; he does the same stuff your little one does (except he is strictly an indoor dog). So, we crate trained and he is not allowed in the yard by himself. Can you put a crate in the heated space? Perhaps provide a stuffed kong (or another chew/food type toy) that is just for alone time?

georgie is offline Senior Member

Will you be training her for hunting? She may not be tired enough plus they need some mental challenges also. She is still young. She may be anxious when they other lab goes hunting & she is left alone. Does she get some one on one time with you? Good luck. Remember, she is still young.

lisa is offline Senior Member

My 11 1/2 month old Gracie chews alot, she chewed siding on my house yesterday...she was alone for 5 min while I carried some shellfish to the car for my father in law. I walk her 45-60 min in the morning, short mid afternoon walk and about 20 min walk at night. She also goes down to the beach a few times a week to run around, we play fetch in the yard and she still comes in a chews. Some days are worse than others, I also never had a dog chew this much...but I still Love her to pieces, she really is the most lovable dog I have ever owned, so she is forgiven always

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

How about taking her for a run or playing a long game of fetch before you leave her. Then she might be too tired to get into trouble. She is still young....I know a lot of older dogs who behave the same way. Its mostly out of boredom.
    Katie adopted by koko

scutter is offline Senior Member

zoe is extremely loveable and yes I will be hunting her. I belong to a retriever training club and play with her every day. I just never had a lab that was this destructive and hoped that she would grow out of it.

Thanks

Scutter

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    I think you need to get into training her for hunting, so that she can go with you. I think dog number 2 is jealous that she is not getting to go.
    I was thinking the same thing. It sounds to me like she is wanting to go. Also, give her some one on one time with you. I have started taking Barney (my 2 y/o lab mix) to training class once a week. Meaning I leave my 2.5 y/o lab home. That is on Monday night. I make sure on Tuesday night I take Tal out and leave Barney at home. Some one on one might help like it did with mine! Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast