What is Mange?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Mange?

QuestionWhat is Mange?

Has anyone here had to deal with mange in their dog? What are the symptoms?

I am starting to suspect that my baby boy has it. It's been about a week now that I've noticed that his hair was thinning below his right eye. It's like a little bold spot and a slight blotchy skin. I haven't noticed anything like this anywhere else on his body. However, a few weeks ago he had a really bad spot on his stomach that looked like skin infection. It was really red and crusty. It cleared up by itself after about a week.....Now his eye

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Mange is a type of mites (aka microscopic bugs) and depending on the type can be cleared up with Revolution or Advantage Multi -- always check with your vet before treating. If he has a skin infection he'll need antibiotics.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Thank you for your response, Samantha. I was wondering if mange can clear up on its own?? I've already spent over $1,000 on this guy and he is not even 5 months yet. But besides the money, I would hate to give him more antibiotics. He's already had to get a steroid shot and a bunch of antibiotics for his GI problems....Can't be good for a growing puppy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xanusha View Post
    Can't be good for a growing puppy
    Neither are mites or skin infections

I'd be inclined to watch it and see if it spreads or goes away - if it gets bigger, itchy, oozing, etc. a trip to the vet might be in order.

Can you post a picture?

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

brody is offline Senior Member

I would hate a whole lot more to have us diagnosis something on the net - your puppy should see a vet - the longer you wait the harder the treatment might be and the more you may have to spend

with a young dog especially err on the side of getting it checked out - you can always ask about treatment options
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Mange will not clear up on its own.
    ~Samantha

I wanted to post a picture so that you guys could look at it. Maybe I am just worried for no reason...But I can't seem to post picture on here. I tried to re-size them, but still had no luck. Can someone instruct me on how to do it. I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager....Thanks!

PS I was going to buy a shampoo called Manage Mites Shampoo to bath Xane because he seems to be really itchy. Does anyone heard if it's a good product?

If he has mange he needs to be checked to make sure he does not have a skin infection. Take him to the vet, that's the best thing to do. To post a picture you have to host it somewhere like photobucket.com
    ~Samantha

Thanks, Samantha. I will be taking him to the vet this week...Hopefully, it's nothing serious...

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

Another reason to take him to your vet is that one form of mange (sarcoptic) is also contagious to humans. We know it as scabies in humans. The other form (demodectic) can be started with immune suppresion. It's also seen at your puppies age fairly frequently. Check with your vet. Hopefully your baby has nothing serious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast