So, how did everyone's dogs do for Thanksgiving?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, how did everyone's dogs do for Thanksgiving?

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

SmileSo, how did everyone's dogs do for Thanksgiving?

We went to hubby's aunt's house. Unfortunately, his entire family are very non-dog people. The little kids are scared to death of dogs, especially big ones, and the adults don't like dogs at all. So we put our four in crates in the yard and kept them out there. They did fine.

When I went out to give them water, hubby's cousin came with me to show me where the spigot is. When I opened each one's crate door, they stayed in the crate....didn't bolt out. (I've taught them not to because they can't bolt uncontrolled at events.) His cousin was completely amazed that they were so well behaved.

So I let Sally and Spud out and gave them a few commands....go over there, sit, stay, here, back in your crate. They obeyed perfectly. She was amazed and said if all dogs were obedient like that, she wouldn't mind being around them.

After lunch, we took them in the back yard and did some chuck-it retrieving with them. Before long, the entire family was out on the back deck watching and oooing and awwwing at how pretty and fast and obedient they were.

We convinced them to let Spud come over to the little girls since he's around children and is so calm and mild. Soon all three little girls were petting and loving on him.

All-in-all, it was a great day for showing non-dog people that even big dogs can be well behaved and fun to be around. They all left with at least a little more tolerance and appreciation for dogs.

How did y'all's Thanksgiving go with your dogs and crowds?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

We were supposed to go to Bill's sister's for the day and take the boys. They have a short-haired pointer of some kind, Bill isn't sure of the breed, and a fenced yard. The dogs were going to hang out together while 19 people had dinner. However, Bill still had an intestinal bug, so we stayed home and the boys just chilled out with us. We had a nice, quiet day.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Congratulations to you and the dogs. More for showing the kids that they don't have to be afraid of all dogs. Not sure adults can really be changed.

I have a phrase on one of my Messenger Headers. 'If you don't like dogs, go visit someone else.' I am serious about it.

Have one cousin with no tolerance for anything with 4 legs.. Last time he was over he asked if I could tie HK outside. I told him that he was welcome to stay or leave but HK lived here and was not being tied outside. He couldlearn to love her, or not bother coming over. He left. I'm happy.

Although there are exceptions, HK comes with us most places. When invited to help a friend for the afternoon (I usually am happy to do it), I inform them that HK will be coming along. I pick my friends carefully and only one objected. I didn't go to help that one.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Isn't it just wonderful when non-dog people gets amazed of your dog(s)? WTG 4 dawg flite
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Well you showed them - congrats !

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Aw, what a great story!!! Your kids are such good ambassadors.

I forget sometimes how good the boys are...you know, you hang around all these people who have THE most obedient dogs in the city (well, they do!) and you focus on little things like, "Oh, they didn't sit straight" or "He checked out the toy before he did the Recall." But then when you take them around people who don't show, they are just blown away. It makes you feel so proud, doesn't it!

I was reminded what a good boy Simon really is last night. There was no one there to see it but me, but it was a proud momma moment: He's under doctor's orders not to run at all, and this is HARD for him! I know you know how hard that is.

I let him out to potty last night, at the time we usually play fetch. I did this with much trepidation, because I know how he is: He doesn't *have* to have you throw something for him to take off on a zoomie spree, especially if he's been on lockdown for a while. Well, sure enough, after about 15 seconds, whoosh! There he goes.

I called his name sharply and said, "EH EH!" and bless his sweet heart, even though I know he was just dying to do several laps around the yard, he stopped short and came walking back to me. Oh boy, the lovin' he got!

AZLAB is offline Senior Member

We just had family so Cinnamon was use to all of them. Cierra came over so she had her BFF to play with. They both barked at my other BR when he came but it is a came with them. They bark and he growls at them. Both dogs tails were going 90MPH. I was real proud of Cinnamon without being told she went and laid down during dinner.
    Karon and Cinnamon

georgie is offline Senior Member

Good dogs. I am glad the little ones got to enjoy toyr dogs. Our three were fine too. I did have them in the bedroom when we ate becaue my FIL is not a dog person. But when we left them out they were good, just walked around, played with the grandkids/ I just felt bad when the girls went by my FIL. They just were standing there & he said "Get out of here." I was upset but bit my tongue. He was never a dog person & never will be. The girls just kind of hung their head & walked away. They are used to people petting them.

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

Our dogs were very well behaved! We had a total of 12 people including us here at our house for dinner

We had the girls outside, and then we put them downstairs while we ate dinner and such, even though they are very well behaved one of my Aunts is very allergic to dogs and even though she took her allergy medicine she was having a rough time with sneezing and coughing.

After the 3 of them left (aunt and her family) we let them up and they enjoyed themselves thoroughly!
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by georgie View Post
    Good dogs. I am glad the little ones got to enjoy toyr dogs. Our three were fine too. I did have them in the bedroom when we ate becaue my FIL is not a dog person. But when we left them out they were good, just walked around, played with the grandkids/ I just felt bad when the girls went by my FIL. They just were standing there & he said "Get out of here." I was upset but bit my tongue. He was never a dog person & never will be. The girls just kind of hung their head & walked away. They are used to people petting them.
    Oh, poor girls!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast