Drowsy after shots?

Thread: Drowsy after shots?

Seamus Lab is offline Senior Member

DefaultDrowsy after shots?

Yesterday Finnigan went to the vet and received a shot. The vet said it may make him drowsy. He has been sleeping almost non stop since he came home, getting up to eat, go out and very little play not at all like he normally does. He usually races through here like a mad man playing with the other dogs.

I've never noticed this before with any of my dogs. Anyone ever seen this?
    He's 11 weeks old. Also he was 8.2 pounds on the 2nd of Nov when we took him and yesterday he was 15.5 pounds. A growing boy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

I'd say it's normal.. and since he is eating and drinking and playing a bit, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Now if he's still acting like that tomorrow then I might be worried, but for ~24 hours it does happen in some dogs.

AZLAB is offline Senior Member

Cinnamon slept extra after her puppy shots but she peed like she had drank 4 gallons of water. It was one of the few times she had accidents in the house was after her 8 and 12 week shots.

In fact to this day if she gets her shots someone has to be home to let her out. She still pees every hour or so after getting them.
    Karon and Cinnamon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Seamus Lab is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AZLAB View Post
    Cinnamon slept extra after her puppy shots but she peed like she had drank 4 gallons of water. It was one of the few times she had accidents in the house was after her 8 and 12 week shots.

In fact to this day if she gets her shots someone has to be home to let her out. She still pees every hour or so after getting them.
    Yes, yes he's been peeing so much and it just didn't occur to me that it was from the shots too. Thanks for that.

labby is offline Senior Member

Very normal in some dogs

Laura

debjen is offline Senior Member

Yep one of my cavs crashes after shots..use to worry me but usually bounced back 24-48 hours later..

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Yes. Angus did this very thing with his second and third set of shots. In fact, he was so bad with the third set, I remember holding him on my lap all day, convinced he might die. Seriously. When he would get up he could hardly stand, and would wobble back to the ground.

I thought it was a fluke, but it happened again at a year old.

When it happened yet again at two years old, I stopped with the shots. He gets titers now, and only gets the shot if he needs it (which he hasn't). I also started splitting up all their shots. Simon has had to have a booster, but I don't give that at the same time as anything else. It costs a little more to do it this way, but not that much for the difference it has made.

I don't think they're necessarily "allergic" to the shots...that would be a much different reaction, like what Kelly posted about recently with Amber. But I think it's a lot harder on Angus than it is some dogs.