Depression?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depression?

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultDepression?

Hi all.... wondering if anyone has experience with their lab becoming depressed? I think Buddy is. He just doesn't seem to feel any joy anymore and it's breaking my heart. He still eats, goes for walks, but if not DOING something, he just plops down and goes to sleep unless we keep him engaged. He was at the vet in April and checked out okay, tested for all the usuals, and had a lyme vaccine because ticks are BAD here. I bought him a pool last weekend because he's always loved playing in the pond we had at our old place. I know he isn't happy because his "dad" is now a truckdriver and is gone all week, where before he used to go to our farm with him every day. But this depression didn't seem to start until the last month or 2. He's always been very laid back but whenever there was something to do, he would get excited. Not anymore. His dad is going to try taking him to a game preserve to hunt pheasants this weekend and see if that perks him up. If not, I guess I'll take him to the vet and see if he did somehow contract lyme or another tick-borne disease.... I never had a stool sample checked this year, could worms cause this? He does take heartworm meds, does that take care of other worms too?

Any ideas or suggestions would be very appreciated. I'm very worried....

Barb

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

How old is he? Did you have any bloodwork done?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

He's 6 years old, and yes, they took blood and tested for heartworm and tick-borne disease, not sure what else they checked the blood for, but all was fine at that time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would suspect some joint pain at that age rather than actual depression. Joint pain will subdue a dog's behavior and make him less active. Dogs don't show pain in a way most people recognize.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Maybe he just needs time to adjust to a new place, Dad's new work days, no more pond, etc. Dogs seem to love routine - do everything familiar at the same time and same place. I hope it's nothing serious.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

It may be a good idea to have your vet run a blood panel to check everything just to be on the safe side. I hope all turns out well for you and it is just the change in routine.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I agree with Tammy. I would get a complete blood panel, including thyroid.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

If the last vet check was April, I'd have him checked again.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

thanks for the replies. We're going to see what the weekend brings and if he doesn't perk up, I'll take him to the vet next week. I really don't think it's joint pain.... I am going to take his temp when I get home from work tho, it never occurred to me until I read the post about Diesel. He is the first dog we've ever raised from a puppy, and I have bonded with him as if he were one of my kids. So I hurt when he hurts and it KILLS me that he can't TELL me what's wrong.....

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

It could possibly be joint pain - I am thinking this more so due to your boy's age - my Diesel is just 2.5yrs old. I agree that if his last check up was in April & he's been showing signs of not being himself for almost 2 months I'd have him re-checked. As well, I think if it is depression - since Labs love their humans so much - he would be all over you the way Diesel is with me, not going off & sleeping when YOU don't engage him. Diesel is the one constantly engaging me, seeking attention. Unfortunately you won't know until you take him in & start to rule things out. I agree with Karen about the blood draw with a check on his thyroid - that issue typically begins after about age 4.

Diesel is the first dog I've raised alone since he was 8wks old so I totally understand the bond you have & worry! Keep us posted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast