Simon's Cone: Compromise
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simon's Cone: Compromise

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultSimon's Cone: Compromise

We put the cone on Simon last night, and oh my gosh. He refuses to move in it. Whatever position he was in when you put the cone on him, that is where he stays. Frozen stiff. It is just so sad!

He would get up and walk in it a little, finally, but not without a LOT of encouragement.

So today, our compromise is to have him leashed to one of us. It's my turn now. This is working pretty well...all I do is tuck the leash in a pocket and he obligingly follows.

I guess we will have to put the cone on him when we leave him. I hate to think of him here by himself all day, frozen in position until someone comes and takes the cone off. At least we are home the next four days - except for a few hours this afternoon to go to my Mom's.

I realized something else last night: I had been planning to set up the Christmas tree in the Florida room, where we can close the doors during the day and keep them away from it. But I had also planned to leave Simon in the Florida room in the cone, where there isn't much of anything to bump into or get tangled in. Oops. Obviously can't do both, so I guess we're not setting up the tree this weekend.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Awwwww poor Simon . Healing thoughts for him. He's such a good boy.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

justine is offline Senior Member

Aww poor boy. I would imagine that Abbey would be exactly the same way - not moving an inch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MNLab is offline Senior Member

Poor Simon, I can just imagine! I don't think Daisy would much care, not a thing bothers that girl, ha ha. I think you said you thought Angus wouldn't care either?
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

Samson is offline Senior Member

I shed a little tear for the poor scared boy !

Day two of hero LAb reports !

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

MN, right: Angus doesn't let it slow him down at all. Crashes into door frames, legs, whatever.

We just got back from Thanksgiving lunch at Mom's. Simon was in the FL room, and it didn't look like he had moved at all. AND, he didn't even get up when we came in. I don't know how we're supposed to do this to him for two weeks!!!

We took the cone off and he's tethered to Kevin right now...and so happy to be cone-free. I'm glad we'll be here the next four days. I may call the vet Monday and lobby for early getting stitches out. I mean, the incision is SO small, and it's only two stitches.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Oh, I sure hope the vet will take the stitches out early. Poor Simon. Prayers and good thoughts for the sweet boy and for a good outcome from the testing.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

hark67 is offline Senior Member

poor Simon....no one likes a cone! Too bad we can't hit the fast forward button for you.

Dixies Mom is offline Senior Member

I'm just seeing this. Poor Simon. Dixie is not doing well with her new cone either. I hope that maybe the stitches can come out early - Dixie only had 3, and she is down to 2 and it is still holding together....little booger. I still can't believe she pulled one of them out.

dweck is offline Senior Member

Simon.

psst.

Pal.

Over here.

It's Wesley. C'mere....

Cone. PITA, right? RIGHT! When I first got mine, I did the same thing: Put on my most forelorn face and just stood there, trying to convince the Humans that I would absolutely die in this thing and that they should take the effing thing and pitch it in the trashcan.

But they were resolute. Fools.

So now -- and I suggest this to you as well -- I create as much mayhem as possible while wearing it. At 4AM, for instance, consider the absolute sport of ruining the sleeping Humans by bash-crashing around the bedroom in the dark. Or trying to SCRATCH it off! Ho-ho-ho, that's a good one. The cone acts as a sound amplifier, so a little scrm-scrm-scrm on your neck becomes a deafening SCCRRRIMM-SCCRRRIMM-SCCRRRIMM. Keep that up for 5 minutes straight and the Humans will go wild.

I've learned how to re-arrange the furniture with this thing. Particularly entertaining when you can send kitchen chairs careening around the table.

And the best is the back-of-the-knee SLAM on the humans. The edge of the cone is surprisingly sharp, and, when delivered at high-speed to the legs of an unsuspecting Human, the reaction is hilarious: the yelp/jump in mid-air. Hah!!!

And the cone is ALWAYS good for an extra cookie or two. You've got to perfect the saddy face and put your head on the floor, chin resting on the plastic rim of the cone, and look REALLY uncomfortable and give a sigh (which will also be amplified by the shape of the cone).

Works like magic.

Dad just told me I may have mine for another week or so. YIPPEE!!!!!!!

At this rate, I may never take the damned thing off!

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast