Mouthing

Thread: Mouthing

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

DefaultMouthing

I'm sure this topic has been covered before but I don't know how to find post on it. Koko is a great dog, not an aggressive bone in her body, but she will occasionally mouth me when I am petting her or when I'm about to let her out for potty(she gets excited, I don't encourage it, I make her sit and chill). She does not apply pressure she just puts her mouth around my wrist. I correct her with a sound of "eh eh" and she stops right away, I'm just not sure why I'm the only person she does this with. I am her favorite, I'm the one she follows around, I'm the one she listens to, so why am I the one she mouths?
    Katie adopted by koko

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

I don't have the answer as to WHY she does it only to you. But Milly used to do this so we stopped it by redirecting with a toy and rewarding that. Now she carries her toys everywhere with her like a security blanket but to me that is better than being slobbered on by her mouth
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Well I bought her a tennis ball shaped bone to redirect but she is not interested in it!!!! I'll just keep reinforcing it. She doesn't do it often....but enough to make me wonder!
    Katie adopted by koko

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky6 View Post
    I am her favorite, I'm the one she follows around, I'm the one she listens to, so why am I the one she mouths?
    You just answered your own question. We only eat the ones we love.

Angus does this to me as well when I get him wound up. He was terribly mouthy as a puppy, and broke the skin every time. Now it's just a gentle putting his mouth around my wrist. I don't worry about it or mind. I think he loves me.

Labs are inherently mouthy...it's just what they do. If it bothers you, you could work on redirecting to an appropriate chew toy whenever it happens. Sometimes I think they just really have a deep need to put their mouth on something!

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus View Post
    Sometimes I think they just really have a deep need to put their mouth on something!
    this!!! Milly HAS TO HAVE SOMETHING IN HER MOUTH TO CARRY EVERYWHERE. She cannot greet the door without a toy in her mouth, she can't follow you around without a toy in her mouth, she can't jump in the car without her ball in her mouth, argh!

the only things she does without a toy in her mouth are sleep, eat and on our walks. She even PEE'S and POO's with a toy in her mouth. A non-Labrador on-looker would think it's totally bizarre. But I know it's normal
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I agree. My vet always laughs at Homer and Misha because they are always holding a toy (a killer nylabone). Misha was extremely mouthy as a pup, now just sometimes. Homer is like Koko, still very mouthy, more "nibbly". if i pet him he starts nibbling my shirt´s neck or my sleeves, or my ears... I just got used to it, he´s very gentle actually

justine is offline Senior Member

Hah! That's funny. Abbey will do it too when she is all wound up, especially after a round of chasing her and saying "I'm gonna get that little girl!"

I tried the whole replace-with-a-toy thing, but it didn't work for Abbey. My previous trainer suggested that I put peanut butter on my hand and teach Abbey to lick, not to bite.. but now she is OCD with licking everything, so I may have created the problem, not sure.

I figured it was normal...my German Shepherds use to do it and I don't mind it at all, I think I'm just paranoid because of my 1 yr old. She never ever ever mouths him....its amazing actually, I don't know how these dogs know who to be gentle with but she is the most gentle with him! Even today, he was eating cheerios and sharing them with her...he would give her one, he would eat one, and sometimes he would sike her out with one...she never opened her mouth fully and just gentle took it from him. Even when he has her tennis ball, she will chomp it out of your hand, not his...she grabs it with the side of her mouth. She does nibble my clothes when she is excited...one time she got my butt! Its almost like come on mom your taking too long! I know she means no harm...but you know some people feel your dog should never put their teeth on you. Thanks for making me feel better!
    Katie adopted by koko

lisa is offline Senior Member

Gracie is 11 months old and still very mouthy, especially with me. I correct with a sharp no and give her a toy.