Just Labradors banner

Olive oil on dog food?

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  joflake 
#1 ·
Every summer it is a struggle for me to keep weight on Tank. He gets more exercise plus on top of his high metabolism he looses some weight and gets too skinny for my liking. I asked my cousin what to do and he said olive oil!? He said it is because it will give him some extra calories. I am not too sure and before I do it I am wondering if anyone has done it? If not what can I add to his food to keep his weight on?

P.S. I talked to the vet about it thinking he was sick and he is healthy. She said maybe give him an extra cup of food?

P.S.S he has always had this problem. So it did not just start. I took him to the post office yesterday with me and when I took him in the person behind the desk even mentioned he was looking a little skinny! I really dont want AC at my house because we have a new AC officer and I am afraid he will take Tank away because of his weight(The first summer I had Tank the old AC officer came to my house but thankfully he was a frriend of my grandpas and understanding of tank weight probelm). Tank is not SO skinny he could be taken away. But I dont want it to GET there. Right now I wouldnt mind putting 5-10 more pounds on him, just to give you an idea.

#2 ·
What are you feeding him now? What is the protein percentage at? I wouldn't add olive oil, there is nothing nutritional about it you are just adding a fatty oil really. Others probably have better suggestions, but it is unusual to want to put weight on a Lab. Can you see his ribs individually just by looking at him?

#3 ·
I am feeding him Purina One-lamb and rice right now. If I bought the dog food I would change it to something better but my parents buy it and they wont. Im not sure about the protein percentage. I will get a side pic when I get home so you can see what I'm talking about. i know it is weird to want to put some weight on a lab or any dog but he does need a few more pounds on him.

#4 ·
That reminded me of what my parents fed my dog growing up. Our dogs were outside only. During the winter my parents would feed the dog the pan fat drippings from the meat we had that week to give the dog some extra fat for the winter. Both my parents grew up on a ranch so they only had farm dogs. My parents have come a long way, they now own a little chihuahua mix that lives inside.

#5 ·
I have tried talking to my parents about the dog food I am told either we can eat or the dogs can eat. My parents are extremley stubborn and we butt-heads a lot as it is now and I dont really need another thing adding to the arguments.

#6 ·
Purina One says it's at 26%, not bad, it isn't the best Purina product available, I think the Pro Plan Selects are much better - didn't work for us, but others here seem to like it. Not sure what to suggest unless you were able to change his food & up the protein content. Maybe add real chicken to his meals? I'm focusing on the protein because of the amount of exercise you give him & you say he has a high metabolism. It notes a 384 kcal/cup, maybe a food that has an overall higher calorie?

#7 ·
Sorry for asking but why would they take your dog away if she's skinny? And who the heck is the AC officer?? What is that!?

My Cassie was kinda skinny until 3 weeks ago. Then suddenly she gain some weight very fast.. She's on Pro Plan Puppy Large Athletic. She gets 3 meals a day 120grams each meal.

#9 ·
Is there any food in the 30$ range that I could feed him that is better? Would boiling a chicken leg and giving it to him help? I have to boil one everyday anyway for my ferret so it wouldn't be to much of a hassle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.