What would you do?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat would you do?

One of my regulars boarders just arrived. She is normally a hyper active, go forever, sleek, shiney, never quit, field style dog. While when she arrived, she was very active, there is something very different about her.

Something about her weight, something about her fur, something about her activity that is not like it usually is. The non-retrieving GSP (who is here to learn to retrieve), has more enthusiasum for chasing a bumper. Something about the way she is standing. I can not quite put my finger on it.

Question is, when should I say something to the owner? She is just leaving for a week long vacation. During the next week? Once I can better judge what is different? Just say "something" is not quite right? Wait until she returns? Hopefully, she is just having an off day, and nothing is truly wrong.

If it were your dog, when would you like to know your pet sitter was seeing something different?

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I would observe and say something if you feel that something isn't right. Sometimes we are too close to the
    situation to notice, I would want to know if it were my dog.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rushpuppy View Post
    I would observe and say something if you feel that something isn't right. Sometimes we are too close to the
    situation to notice
    , I would want to know if it were my dog.
    I agree, I would want to know immediately. Maybe the owner knows exactly what has caused the changes, and he/she can put your mind at rest. It isn't fair that you have worry for the next week that something is off.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I'd want to know.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I would want to know asap, agree that sometimes we are too close to notice for ourselves. Just let the owner know that you notice something is off, can't put your finger on it & ask if anything is up, then just reassure them you will keep a close eye to try & help pinpoint what's possibly wrong.

joflake is offline Senior Member

Do you have instructions on what to do if a dog you're boarding becomes ill while the owner is away? If you feel confident with that, you could decide whether to wait or not. But if it were my dog, I'd want to know.

bett is offline Senior Member

i'd want to know

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Going against the grain here. I think unless you believe the dog needs immediate vet attention you should tell them when they get back. Let her settle in and she may perk up tomorrow. I have taken in dogs for friends while they were on vacation and had some of them act quite down in the dumps at being left behind - especially Labs. Maybe it's just an emotional reaction on her part.

If she really starts acting ill I would call them and hopefully they have left you vet info and permission for treatment - but if she is just "off" - I would let them enjoy their vacation.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

If the dog is a regular boarder with you, she's already very familiar with you & the surroundings and I wouldn't hesitate to say something is not right with the changes you are noting (especially the weight & coat). If it were my dog, there'd be 2 things happening- 1.) a phone call to me ASAP and 2.) a trip to the vet. You never know when something more serious than just being "off" is going on and when it could take a big turn for the worse. If it were me, I would not want to be held responsible if it did get worse and know that I did all that I could to be proactive.
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I'd want to know. I would also get a permission slip to take the dog to a vet if she gets worse while the people are gone.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast