NJ to fine owners for pets not restrained in vehicles
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NJ to fine owners for pets not restrained in vehicles

Bookwormbiker is offline Senior Member

DefaultNJ to fine owners for pets not restrained in vehicles

I've often seen dogs riding in the back of pickup trucks as well as little dogs sitting on the driver's lap while driving.
    I do have a harness for Duke (a good one) but have to confess that I only use it occasionally. BAD MOM. This is probably the incentive I need to "buckle up" every time. A $250. fine per offense isn't chicken feed.
    So, JL members, do you "buckle up"?

New Fines In Place For Cats And Dogs That Don’t Buckle Up In New Jersey « CBS Philly

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

I hate that people put dogs in the back of their trucks, I'm so scared they'll jump out and get hurt, you just never know. And I don't like those little dogs riding on people's laps while they drive. Another accident waiting to happen. But, I don't "buckle up" my dogs. They are either in the back of my jeep or in the truck in the second seats lying down.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I don't and won't buckle my dogs in the car but then again they only ride in my car going to the vet office.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Here is the actual law. If you notice, it's under agriculture, and no mention of having to restrain your pet. Very vague wording.

Document

Bookwormbiker is offline Senior Member

I drive a Prius mostly and have one of those "hammock" type things on the back seat where Duke sits. He does sit quietly especially if I roll his window enough for him to stick his muzzle out. My brother-in-law had remarked that he'd seen me in town and he thought it was a person sitting in the back seat, lol.
    I do take him to the state park to walk (about 2 miles), to the bank drive-thru and to the vets and groomers. So, he does get out and about a bit. The only place the harness would be a pain is for his walk in the park. The harness has a ring on it for a leash to be attached, but he's never walked well with a harness (pulls too much). So, I'd have to remove the harness when we get to the park and then put it back on for the ride home.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quick trips to the vet etc I don't harness Diesel, but longer road trips I do, though I feel I should everytime he's in a car. When I was a teen my friend's brother took the family dog in the car for a quick trip to the store, as he often did, some idiot behind them trying to weave through traffic slammed into the back of them when the light turned red. My friend's brother was wearing his seatbelt though he still sustained some major injuries, the dog was thrown from the vehicle & he still has nightmares about what he saw the poor thing go through laying on the road mangled & bloody. He died from his injuries before any help arrived.

When I see a dog in the back of a pickup it pisses me off that people somehow think they are invincible or such a safe driver nothing could possibly happen. What's worse is when I see a dog sticking his head out of a window or even worse a sunroof - ya, Fido's gonna have a hard time fetching after he gets decapitated from a fender bender. You don't do it with your kids, how are dogs any different?

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Mine is harnessed in every single time we get in the car. It only takes me a few seconds to take the harness off and put it back on when we get to the park or whereever and I feel he is safer being secured in the back seat.

Sedona is offline Senior Member

My girls are always harnessed. Living in Alabama there are a lot of people with dogs in the back of a pickup truck, scares me senseless.

Isn't it great to have a sister

dedfish is offline Junior Member

I drive a Ford Transit Connect, basically a cargo van, and my guy is crated every single trip. I've considered letting him ride in the front passenger seat with me but if I did he would be harnessed and seatbelted in. My concern with letting him ride upfront would be that his year and a half self would want to play the entire time and that's not safe.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dedfish View Post
    ...I've considered letting him ride in the front passenger seat with me but if I did he would be harnessed and seatbelted in. My concern with letting him ride upfront would be that his year and a half self would want to play the entire time and that's not safe.
    Another concern with the front seat is the passenger side airbag. They are just as dangerous for a dog as they are for kids and small adults.

Caleb is crated in the Escape. But our usual "Caleb Mobile" is my Ranger. It has an extended cab, and he rides behind the seat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast