weight of a puppy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weight of a puppy

oreosmam is offline Junior Member

Defaultweight of a puppy

Hiya, I'm new to the site just got my puppy on the 26/5/12. Not sure if anyone can help. I was just wondering if anyone knows how much my male lab 9weeks should weigh and how much weight he should b gaining? When I picked him up he looked a bit thin to me and noticed later that day he had diarrhoea this has now cleared up. He now weighs 4.3kg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I am not sure how this converts to kg, but a vet told me a labby pupp should weigh about 2 lbs for each week they are old, and sometimes a little more for males. So 18 lbs is average for a 9 week puppy. Also, I was told to double the weight at 4 months and that will approximate the fully grown adult weight.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

ibcnuldu is offline Junior Member

My puppy was about 5kg when we got her and she had some worms/diarrhea issues going on. I would definitely check up with your vet to make sure everything is on track. Lilly now weighs about 25 lbs (11.3 kg) at 14 weeks and gains about 2 lbs a week.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for your comments. Ive had him to the vets twice about the diarrhea which has now cleared up after he was wormed. When he first went to the vets when he was 8week 2days he weighed 3.4kg and she mentioned her was a little thin which i had noticed my self. just converted the weight hes gained into pound and he has gained 1.9lbs in a week so thats good and hes 9.7lbs at the moment. So if he should be 18lbs he is really under weight. Another question if you can help I am currently feeding my pup 55g of dry puppyfood for large breed (eukanuba) four times a day, do you have any idea if this is ok? and lastly if possible people talk about feeding in cups can you please explain how much in grams a cup is lol thanks

momofalab is offline Senior Member

If this website is accurate, then 1 cup is about 229.92 grams. Gram Conversion Calculator

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Eukanuba Large Breed puppy food has a density of 3.21 oz/cup, which is approximately 91 grams. If you are feeding 55 grams four times a day, you are roughly feeding 2.4 cups per day.

4.3 kg (9.5 lbs) for a 9 week old seems very small. I think my younger boy weighed about 17 lbs at 9 weeks.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Awesome new sig pic Felicia! The boys are looking as handsome as ever....it sure would be nice to see the rest of it!!!!

Hiya thank you for your advice. It's helped a lot. Would you advise that I feed him 91grams four times a day? As I really want him to gain some weight as her a little ribby and I don't want him to end up been a small dog in later life

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I highly doubt your dog is underweight by 50%. Labs vary tremendously in size as adults. How big we're this puppy's parents? I'm suspecting not very big at all.

I would feed 3 times a day with 1 cup/91 grams per meal. That is an increase versus what you are currently feeding. You don't want a rapid weight gain either.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Hiya thanks the parents were medium sized but I will ask the breeder there weight. The parents were working dogs so were quite slim. But he seemed to b obsessed with the pup not been over weight n recommended only feeding 30grams four times a dog which personally I put it ip gradually I as thought it wasn't enough as he was skinny when we got him. I think at the moment he is not gaining too much weight approx 2lbs a week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast