Loose Stool, Peeing Inside

Thread: Loose Stool, Peeing Inside

iammike is offline Senior Member

DefaultLoose Stool, Peeing Inside

I plan on giving a ring to the vet tomorrow but thought I'd see what the good folks of JL have to say as well.

It's currently Sunday evening here in Tokyo, this all started Saturday mid-day.

First thing I noticed is that when I came home from lunch Saturday and let Charlie out of the kennel, he had peed inside. For reference it has been months since he has messed his kennel for any reason and even an accident inside is extremely rare. Pooping inside is unheard of from my boy by now.

Well after cleaning up his mess, the next 30 hours or so can be summed up as this. He pee's frequently and has had multiple accidents inside despite more frequent trips outside. His stool started loosening but never has gotten to full on liquid stage. Running pudding would be more appropriate of a comparison. I fasted him for 24 hours which fixed him right up last time he got full on liquid poo.

We've been through the fasting period now and I started feeding him small portions this morning.

He still has loose stool, still not liquid though. Doing a bit better with peeing but just had another accident inside.

Through all of this, he hasn't lost appetite, still eats and drinks normal except when I was fasting him of course. His energy level goes from totally find to kinda mopey but not too bad. I can tell he's feeling under the weather.

Went to the store and gave him some Pepto about 4 hours ago. See if that helps over night.

Like I said, I'm calling the vet tomorrow no matter, just curious if you guys have had something that not only caused loose stool but frequent urination as well?

Thanks!
    ...at 6 months old.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a possible UTI causing the peeing, not sure about the runny poop. Definitely calls for a vet check.

After the fast, did you give him plain rice and boiled chicken, or right back on the same dog food? What do you feed? How old is the bag?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

I feed IAMs Proactive Health Mini Chunk. Like last time I started him back up on that. The bag isn't very old at all. I don't get the biggest bags just to avoid that very problem.
    ...at 6 months old.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

firstlabellen is offline Senior Member

I've been reading about some issues some folks seem to be having with Iams Proactive Food. Problems with vomiting and diar. and lethargy. Since you had bought a new bag of food recently, thought I would mention this. A lot of the people who have commented on the below link had just bought a new bag of food.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/iams/html

The link posted didn't work but I'll do some research today at work.

There are certainly foods I would much prefer to feed by best buddy but I'm limited being in Tokyo. I either can't read the bags to be sure I'm getting what I think I'm getting in the ingredients or I'm limited by what they sell on base.

In 2 more months I'll be back in the States though and Charlie will not only get better food selection...but a huge off collar dog park close to where I'm moving!
    ...at 6 months old.

For those who use IAMS, here is the working link. Consumer complaints about Iams Pet Foods

Reading it now and I'm more than a little concerned. Going to pick up a different brand for Charlie today just to be safe.
    ...at 6 months old.

firstlabellen is offline Senior Member

Sorry about the link not working. Maybe this link will work better.

Consumer complaints about Iams Pet Foods

Update from this morning. Stool is better, not great but better. Not sure what to use a a descriptor but at least I was able to pick it up with the doggie baggie and not leave a mess behind.

I've noticed something strange though, forgot to mention it and even though his stool was better this morning, he did this as well. Once he finished pooping he kept trying to poop until it was like he was pooping drops of water. Best I could tell there was no color to it, and it just came out in a few drops then he was fine. He did this a couple of other times over the last couple of days as well.

Calling the vet this morning either way. I'm quite suspicious of a UTI in that he pee'd this morning then an hour later, pee'd again but inside this time. Can a UTI also cause his other problems?
    ...at 6 months old.

oakley is offline Senior Member

Sounds like an upset tummy and a UTI to me. But I would still ring the vet.
    After you fast him, just give him some rice and boiled hamburger or chicken for a day or so, in small quantities.

Charlie is pretty cute. Love the siggy pic.

Saw the vet today. Urine came back "clean". Fecal had lots of bad bacteria so he's on antibiotics now.

They are doing some further urine testing though. Said with some of the results (crystal structures?) they were possibly worried about stones.
    ...at 6 months old.