Ice cubes can cause bloat - your thoughts?

Thread: Ice cubes can cause bloat - your thoughts?

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

ExclamationIce cubes can cause bloat - your thoughts?

I'd heard ice cubes were not good, but never heard why so I thought it had something to do with the crunch factor & wondered why since we give them harder things to chew like antlers & marrow bones, etc. So when Hark67 brought it up again that ice was bad in her thread about Guthrie's water consumption I figured I would search JL. No luck. "Ice" is too short to search, so I went for "cube" and again no luck - it returned a lot of searches, but none readily available about ice cubes & why they are bad so I googled.

Apparently it can induce bloat as the contrast of introducing cold (via ice cubes or even just ice cold water) to a dog that is warm or hot due to a summer day or a lot of exercise causes muscle contractions. This can make the dog choke or gag, dry heaving, etc & can possibly twist the stomach as bloat does.

This link is an account of a dog owner whose dog had a reaction & his vet advised ice cubes cause bloat:

WARNING regarding Ice Water and Ice Cubes in your Dogs Water Bowl

These links say it does not directly cause bloat:

Can Ice Cubes Cause Bloat? :: WRAL.com

Do Ice Cubes Cause Bloat? - Page 1

and yet another...

Ice Water, Bloat, and Internet Urban Mythology (When E-mail Memes Drive You Mad) | petMD

The topic does come up now & then here but nothing really about the why nots so I figured I'd get a thread started. What are your thoughts/experiences with the issue?

ETA: I would think since a dog has a hard time chewing AN ice cube, since they are slippery little suckers, that due to (hot) body temps that would include the mouth, the ice would melt & become closer to his body temp before it even hits the stomach. I could see gulping ice water may be an issue, but gulping water period seems to be more so the culprit.
    Last edited by Diesel_Dawg; 05-30-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Added my own thoughts on the topic.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I think someone on here had a friend who, at a dog show, gave their dog ice water and it bloated. This goes back a few more years then this version of the board does though, so that's maybe why it didn't come up. I just know that after reading that thread, I never ever gave more than an occasional single ice cube as a "treat" and certainly never in their water bowls.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Quote Originally Posted by TangerineFizz View Post
    I think someone on here had a friend who, at a dog show, gave their dog ice water and it bloated. This goes back a few more years then this version of the board does though, so that's maybe why it didn't come up. I just know that after reading that thread, I never ever gave more than an occasional single ice cube as a "treat" and certainly never in their water bowls.
    Well that makes sense about the search option here! I agree the occasional single cube should be fine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

momofalab is offline Senior Member

This might be the forum you were looking for.

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...ease-read.html

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

Is budgirl8 Midwest girl now? Or am I making that up? Lol

Melissa is offline Senior Member

You're making it up. =)

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end. -- Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by momofalab View Post
    This might be the forum you were looking for.

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...ease-read.html
    That appears to be the original thread on JL - thank you! The OP in this link has cross-posted the circulating email from the owner that had the issue - same link I posted. Some good comments in this link from Laura/Labby - in summary, never give a dog (or horse!) ice cold water - should be tepid/room temp & just a little water to rehydrate if doing events/exercising - don't allow gulping a full dish worth. Ice cubes in moderation are fine & just as they are, don't put them in water so the dog isn't drinking ice cold water & best to give only one or two until the dog's temp has lowered to normal.