Beware!!

Thread: Beware!!

hark67 is offline Senior Member

DefaultBeware!!

Just wanted to post a warning for any of your that might live in snapping turtle territory. Yesterday we were out training in the wildlife management area we have trained in for years. I walking Guthrie on a long line down to the pond to rinse off from the mud puddle he had laid in. ON our way back from the pond, at least a football field away from it, Guthrie walked over to investigate something that looked to me like a black plastic flower pot in the weeds. It only took a couple steps for me to realize it was actually a huge snapping turtle but it was too late. At that moment Guthrie let out a huge scream and jumped back. Fortunately the snapper only grazed the skin off the top of his nose and put a superficial cut on his muzzle. But it could have been so much worse.

Apparently the snappers are out now laying eggs and can be quite a distance from water...where you would not expect to find them.

My boyfriends dog got caught in a snare trap this past winter. He was fortunate too...his dog did not panic and he had wire cutters in the car so was able to free him pretty quickly. IT was set up just a few feet from the road. We had no idea that these kind of traps were even legal.

Please be careful and always keep your eyes open for danger.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

I am so glad Guthrie is okay. Thanks, megan, for the heads up. It's always something. We were training yesterday & there were quite a few water snakes around the ponds we were training in. Thankfully, no dogs saw them.

Carolinagirl is offline Senior Member

Glad the turtle didn't do much damage. They are dangerous.

Water snakes? ~*shudder*~ I would have been spinning wheels as I left.
    Nicole & Jack (rescue @ 3 years old)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Hey Georgie! We have those water snakes too. I know people say they are supposed to be harmless but it doesn't feel that way when they are swimming right toward you!!! Recently we have had to chase several of them away before the dogs noticed them. Last summer after a water session Guthrie's lips swelled up and he salivated nonstop for 24 hours...I wondered if it might have been due to a bite by one of them.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Yikes, that would have scared me. I know both of mine would stick their face in at the snake. Boy, there have been a lot of critters this year. We saw several snakes when we were at Western too. Between the ticks, biting flies and snakes...I have been creeped out a lot lately.